mtbr member
    Aug 2015

robot bike co r160 and 3d printing

Why arent more ppl doing this?
    Print your own angles and source some graphite tubes to cut to your own length. You can have a bike sized to your proportions at the bike shop in the same day. Would be sweet.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Print your own angles and source some graphite tubes to cut to your own length. You can have a bike sized to your proportions at the bike shop in the same day. Would be sweet.

Who is doing this successfully?
    "Cats don't like riding on a bicycle... no matter how much duct tape you use" . - G. Lemond

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Because the pricing is prohibitive.
    See DMLS Pricing — spencer wright

Note that his quotes came in at $1k+ for a seat-post head.

The machines to do this kind of work are expensive (literally over a million dollars each), and have pricy consumables and manual labour to finish the parts.
    Over the past few weeks, I've collected a handful of quotes for the seatmast topper. All are for DMLS laser sintered titanium. I've had direct contact with 12 potential suppliers and received 9 quotes back. They range from $987 to $2377 for one finished part.

See also:
    https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...c_Seminar_.pdf

The output of these machines is not perfect, and it takes considerable expertise to optimize the output to be usable for the given purpose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonlui View Post
    Cost and patents. The company making RobotBikeCo's titanium parts is Renishaw, as far as I know they are the only people in the world making metal additive machines big enough and accurate enough to be used for mass production. If you go to any company making 3-D printed metal parts you will likely find a Renishaw DMLS machine, they cost north of $1million each and Renishaw have patents on just about everything that goes on inside them.

More importantly demand outstrips supply right now. The majority of these machines are being used to make medical implants or aircraft parts, just getting a space in Renishaw's production queue is a an expensive time consuming process.

I expect that sooner or later printed lug bikes made to measure will become much more commonplace (but will stay at the very high end), but it's going to take a while for the tech and machines to become more commonplace and cheaper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This idea that 3d printing is the only way to do this kind of customization, is something I have wondered about for a while. I build 3d printers and CNC machines as a hobby, and have good experience with most of the processes involved here (never used a renishaw, have done SLS plastic parts and some sintered steel parts).

In general, a CNC machine can build these kinds of parts (lugs for carbon frames) just as well, probably stronger, and in a fraction of the time as a 3d printer. There will likely be more waste on parts cut from billet, but the material costs will be vastly less than the time and effort to use 3d printed parts. There are times where DMLS is essential; there are certain parts that are impossible to make with traditional CNC machines, but lugs aren't part of that group.

For an example from this very forum:
    16" wheel bike. CNC lugs, bonded tubes, single sided swing arm

There is nothing unique on the R160 bike that couldn't be built on one of these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY

Again, not trying to be negative on 3D printing; I love the process, it's just not the right choice here (yet, anyhow).

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    In the future everything will be 3d printed at home. Kinda like having a replication machine from star trek.

mtbr member
    Metier Velo and Bastion Cycles both currently use 3d printed Ti lugs. As previously noted cost and limited availability of the machines are limiting. But, they'll probably become more common as the technology improves and becomes cheaper.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    In the future everything will be 3d printed at home. Kinda like having a replication machine from star trek.

Everything? Will your 3d printer be able to print circuit boards, integrated circuits, hydraulic seals, hydraulic fluid, carbon composites, multi-material assemblies, hardened steel, etc... ?

3D printing isn't a star trek replicator (yet). Generally you'll need different printers for different materials. Cleanup requires specialized tools before the parts are complete, and the assemblies still need to be put together by hand. It's not realistic to expect that a household is going to have that variety of equipment sitting around, and it wouldn't be economically efficient if they did.

Some household goods _can_ be 3d printed (new knob for the dishwasher, new handle for the hand trowel), but it's not a solution for everything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    They are already printing titanium, concrete, and pcb boards. Not new anymore. Anything is possible. Imagine someone told you 50yrs ago everyone will have a personal cell phone and we will watch tv on it. That we will clone living things etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by armyofevilrobots View Post

There is nothing unique on the R160 bike that couldn't be built on one of these:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIvhlKT7SY
    k

robot bike co r160 and 3d printing-robotbikes.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    True, that joint would be very difficult with welded, brazed,and/or milled lugs... but people have been building lugged carbon frames for decades without that kind of joint. Its absolutely a good design choice for 3d printed lugs, but not a large enough advantage to drive 3d printing.

mtbr member
    There are some cool parts that could be printed, e.g. these fork crowns (sorry, article is in German):

Die Zukunft auf dem PrĂ¼fstand: Airbus APWorks 3D-gedruckter, integrierter Vorbau - MTB-News.de

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Cool. Looks like they used: https://autodeskresearch.com/projects/dreamcatcher which Airbus is also trying out.