mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Rivnut / Rivet Nut, what are your views

Does anyone have any views on if rivnuts are a good idea in thin wall steel i.e 853, Columbus life? Anyone had any issues?

I am think of using them for both gear and disc hose guides as a quicker way of building instead of lots of braze ons.

mtbr member
    Just accept industry standards, they're braze on items.

I sell these things and though they are good for many applications, I am not a fan on bike use.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member

Rivnuts

They'll work, but I'm not sure if I would recommend them. I'm putting a couple of Columbus Life tube sets together right now and I put a pair on the down tube. The tubing is so thin they distorted the tube wall slightly around them when I set them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rivnut / Rivet Nut, what are your views-img_0414.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sorry I never accept industry standards as that is howe we never get progress. Rivnuts are standard on carbon and aluminium frames anyway.

Testmule, thanks for that as I was going to put these into Life tubing. I wondered if they would distort the thin wall. Did you use steel or aluminium ones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woody74 View Post
    Sorry I never accept industry standards as that is howe we never get progress. Rivnuts are standard on carbon and aluminium frames anyway.

Testmule, thanks for that as I was going to put these into Life tubing. I wondered if they would distort the thin wall. Did you use steel or aluminium ones?
    Plated steel.

mtbr member
    Perhaps a better understanding of thin walled application is required.

If you drill a hole in a tube, you weaken it. Within the main triangle of a frame these tubes are moving in micro movements under both pedal strokes and bump pressures coming from the wheel axles - these being the point where forces enter the frame.

If you braze your fixings in place, particularly, the bottle bosses, the brazed rim of the bottle boss restores the strength and integrity of the tube.

Using a Nutsert does not do this important role in very thin walled tube and the distortion already admitted to will add to the problem. The unsupported hole can encourage fracture lines that lead to ultimate failure.

If you're building a frame, follow sound practice, this is just the part of the build. You wouldn't assemble a frame without mitering it first would you?

If you are adding to an existing frame, I suggest that only thicker heavier gauge tubes be attempted, but .5mm or less - NO.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sorry if I came across a bit curt, not my intension. Eric thank you for the info and lesson in stress on tubes. I thought this would be the issue but wasn't sure how much of a problem it would be as they are used in aluminium ad carbon frames. I guess however they do not use such thin walled tubing.

mtbr member
    Hey no problem Woody.

I approach these situations firmly in the belief of educating and steering into the right direction.

Another point to add to the learning is that the tubes types you are looking at are heat treated and therefore less pliable. It is more brittle to the type of pressure exerted by the expanding nutsert. This creates a stress-riser. To test this, take an off-cut, it will be thicker in section on the end butt than the thinner centre, cut it longitudinally and try to open it out into a flat sheet. You will understand the stress lines that appear when you do. Brazing stops the potential of this happening.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric Malcolm; 01-30-2014 at 05:18 PM.