mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Ripped out Bottle Braze-On

So I've had a BionX battery attached here for 11 months and about 2000 mi. As I was removing the system because it's garbage I noticed that after cutting the extra zip ties to help support it it just fell off. This is on a Surly Big Dummy on the tube between the seat tube and seatstays.

Any suggestions on what I should do about this? Can I grind it smooth and round to prevent any cracks then just JB Weld a plate over it and call it good?

Ripped out Bottle Braze-On-brazeoff.jpg

mtbr member
    I would vote epoxy and plate as the most readily doable solution. Do you have the original piece? If so, you may be able to back the epoxy and remount it in.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Nemophilist
    Hey;

You could "epoxy" (or some other metal bonding adhesive made for that purpose) a plate over that. Might help strengthen it, and keep it from cracking. Might. You might even put a nutsert in that plate and restore the bottle mounting. You might even go the extra mile and have that plate TIG welded in place.

The forgiving nature of steel...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post

You might even go the extra mile and have that plate TIG welded in place.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Welding it is an option, I'm just curious if it's worth it. I don't care about the bottle braze-on. This tube just helps stiffen the rear end a bit more. I'm just trying to decide if it's worth it to give a **** to do that or not.

Who turned out the lights
    I was thinking make a "round" plate out of some oversize cromo and just silver or bronze braze it on there like guys do with sleeves. The way that is now, I would think you could get stress risers out of the jagged corners. By putting on a rounded plate, you should be able to alleviate that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Dejavu

I fixed a similar problem earlier this year on an old Giant mountain bike. In fact it looked almost exactly like the picture you posted.

I cleaned up the ragged hole and made it oval making sure there were no spider cracks left. I then machined a plug that fit the new clean oval hole. I fashioned this plug to also have a thicker step in the center that I drilled and tapped for the bottle mounting. Then I TIG welded it in place, sanded and painted.

Use a small tungsten and be careful with the heat as the tube is probably quite thin in the middle. I made my patch a tad thicker than the surrounding tube and directed the heat towards it and it made welding reasonably easy.

Good luck.

Turned out quite well.