Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Retro Road Bike to Monster-Cross Pictures

Anyone convert an old lugged road bike into a monster crosser or something close? I've got an old road bike that will barely fit 700x28 because of the reverse drop outs. The stays, bridge,and front fork could probably handle 34's.

I'm thinking about having the bike repainted, and I may do a cyclocross conversion w/disc at the same time.

I'm completely willing to spend "new bike money" to convert this old frame due to its sentimental value.

I talked about doing a very similar sort of thing with a builder when I was looking to spend some money on a commuter.

Putting new dropouts on it wasn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but some of the other work I wanted to do pushed the price above what I wanted to spend on an old road bike frame with no sentimental value to me.

A set of sliding dropouts is pretty expensive compared to some of the more basic options out there. but for an old frame, I felt better (and so did the builder) about installing dropouts that included the disc tab as opposed to using a basic dropout and welding a separate disc tab onto the frame.

I ended up just buying a new frame that had most of what I wanted already. since I did not have that sentimental attachment to an old road frame, I think it worked out better for me.

but it can be done. just find a builder who's comfortable with the project.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintPeelinPbody View Post
    Anyone convert an old lugged road bike into a monster crosser or something close? I've got an old road bike that will barely fit 700x28 because of the reverse drop outs. The stays, bridge,and front fork could probably handle 34's.
    Dropouts seem simple enough but....how far to go....

In my book your not "monster" until you are running 2.0 or larger tires (i.e. 50mm or bigger).

True monster.... you may want to consider having the entire rear triangle replaced for big fat tires and disk at the same time. You could also convert the front end to 1.25 or tapered at the same time and stiffen up the bike with a new larger spec down tube. Beef up the top tube at the same time and the bike would totally rock especially if you when up spec on the seat tube to run a larger diameter post.

Rody at Groovy has done some cool retro related work; you may want to contact him at his site if you are looking for someone who can make it really wild.

The bike will also need a paint job and new decals....
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    True monster.... you may want to consider having the entire rear triangle replaced for big fat tires and disk at the same time. You could also convert the front end to 1.25 or tapered at the same time and stiffen up the bike with a new larger spec down tube. Beef up the top tube at the same time and the bike would totally rock especially if you when up spec on the seat tube to run a larger diameter post.
    I love scope creep. I do this all the time too. "I'll just replace this and this, but if I'm doing that, I should do this and this too!" Next thing you know, you've got a whole new frame or bike. I did a new road frame for myself and was going to use everything off the old frame and that turned into a new wheelset with R45s and X-Rays and all Campy 11spd Chorus, I think I reused only the pedals, seat, and seatpost. Rear end, head tube, DT, TT, ST, what's left, just reuse the BB shell?

mtbr member

Road bike to MonsterCross

The total issue with this type of conversion is in the original frame's design and build suitability.

What do I mean by this?

1: Forks - Road, Wall thickness = 0.6mm and about 16mm dia about 90mm up from front axle, this is the high stress point for disc brakes. Probably too thin walled to do Canti's higher up fork leg as well.

2: Frame design - road frames are typically 73* head and seat tube angles with a low BB.
    CX frames are more casual at the head tube angle, with a little bit more BB height.

3: BB - 28mm tire on a lug frame max tells me that you have a short chainstay. Chainstays are straight on a lugged road bike frame, not S-bend and offer no ability to be able to be fitted. Lug frames are 22mm round at BB lug socket and BB's are at a fixed angle.

4: Overall frame tube Specification - 1" top tube, 11/8" downtube? or OS tubeset?

The above contributors are not being hard on you. The simple fact is your frame is not suitable.

If sentimentality means anything, I have a friend who is so attached to his frame, to the point that he restored it to its original period state, hangs it on his garage wall, and has a nostalgia ride on a fine sunny day - thats respect.

CX and Monstercross frames are different in key places - this is important when contemplating converting.

Have you looked at More MonsterCross elsewhere on the MTBR? plenty of real world bikes to get an idea from to be found there. Sort out what you want and get the real deal.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?