mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Ream headset race or machine fork?

Im looking a the kona project 2 1" fork for an older mtb ive been using as a touring/commuting bike. The fork is almost perfect, has the length I want + lowrider rack mounts, and it's reasonably cheap. Only problem is the takes a 27.0 headset race. I just put a nice cane creek 100 headset on the bike that uses a 26.4 race, and dont want to swap that out for a cheepie caged bearing lower headset (only 27.0, 1" headsets I can find).

So, should I have the cane creek 26.4 bearing race machined to fit the fork, or should I have the 27.0 fork machined to fit the race?

Also, anyone in frame builder land wanna take on this project for me?

Thanks guys, and happy new year!

FKA Malibu412
    I wouldn't turn a steer tube down to fit a bearing size. Catastrophic failure potential goes way up. Sounds like machining the race is the safest bet and although it could still fail, it likely won't mean a pile-drive into the ground due to a broken steerer. Unless there are other headset options someone is aware of, the cheapy caged style is the safest route.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You are not cutting down the steerer to cut the crown race seat. The steerer is 25.4mm in diameter. Any good LBS can do this. Call around and find a shop to cut your fork crown race down to 26.4mm. If you are in southeast Michigan, call my shop in Ypsilanti.