mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Re-painting Frame

I'm not sure where to post this, it seemed that frame building was the closest fit...

That said I have an old REI Novara bike that I've only kept because it is a great aluminum frame. I've converted it to a SS but it could use some reconditioning. I'm not a huge fan of the paint scheme (even when I bought it new) so I was curious if I could use some aircraft paint stripper to strip it down and repaint it.

Is it possible for me to repaint it myself without it looking like a POS? I'd like to paint it flat black...

All comments/thoughts are welcomed!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    ...could use some aircraft paint stripper to strip it down and repaint it.
    I suggest you take the frame to the Power Coater in your area and have it dipped. Should be around $25.00 and will be the best $25.00 you ever spent

..and while your there get a quote on having them powder coat the frame as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks I'll look into that. What about the painting part? could I do it myself?

mtbr member
    Take it to the coater, get it stripped and get it coated. Most shops will do bike frames start to finish for about $75 and you will have a durable, protective, good-looking finish. Easy peasy!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'll post back what I find out...I've got a couple quotes out to the powder coaters in my area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by davesauvageau View Post
    Most shops will do bike frames start to finish for about $75 and you will have a durable, protective, good-looking finish. Easy peasy!
    $75 is very optimistic and definitely at the low end of the $ spectrum.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calstar View Post
    $75 is very optimistic and definitely at the low end of the $ spectrum.

Brian
    I have gotten a BMX frame, fork, bar and crankset coated for $40.
    I have gotten a Pugsley frame and fork coated for $110.
    I have gotten a Karate Monkey frame and fork coated for $60.
    I have gotten the same BMX frame, fork, bar and crankset coated for $100.
    I have gotten several pieces of my artwork coated for very reasonable prices ranging from $15 to $50, especially if the coater is shooting the same color for another project.

I like powdercoat, I have quite a bit of experience with all of the businesses in my area. $75 to me is middle of the road, prices can be lower or higher but that was just an estimate.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    First quote is in at $80 to have existing paint removed and powder coated flat black...

mtbr member
    There are some cost effective painting options as well through the automotive route. A spray can of stripper, can of Zincrom primer and a couple cans of color can look quite decent for around 50 bucks or less. Let it cure up nice and hard(in summer heat is easy enough), polish it up and it will look fine. Decals can be had for around $30-40 for the finishing touch and some clear on top of them to seal them.

To use automotive grade urethane enamel is the best for appearances and weather resistance while being polishable, but it requires an investment in equipment to spray it properly and observance of safety precautions. Since I do body work as a side thing(and used to do it professionally) the equipment is available so it just comes down to purchasing colors. The look of urethane with decals clearcoated in is in my opinion the most factory looking, but powder coating would be a close second.

If you have access to it, Harbor frieght tools sells a diy powder coating set for a fairly low price if you think you may have a use for it on another job or more bikes
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i restore a old predator last year, took it down to the metal, used etching prime and automotive paint, spent a ton of time and about 60 bucks and it scratched very easy. I had a old gt powder coated and it was perfect and cost me 60 bucks. Take it to the powder coaters, promise you'll be happy.
    even at 80 bucks is okay.

mtbr member
    For small jobs like a bike frame these work great when using automotive paint:

http://www.worldpaintsupply.com/prev...int-spray-gun/

Feeling retro..but Jung
    Just get it powdered..
    I mean if there were jobs then we wouldn't be on the dole then maybe we'd be singing about love and kissing-Joe Strummer

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I was thinking of doing the same thing to an old steel frame I have as a winter beater bike. I've read that powder coat does not protect the frame from rust but I see that it is widely used. I am assuming that if the frame has been well prepped prior to PC then it should be a non issue. Would automotive paint be better?

Framebuilder
    A good powdercoater will treat the frame prior to the coat....that's something you won't get with the shops doing it for $80.

mtbr member

Sure he can

I'll answer your question. Yes, you could paint the frame yourself and I'm sure it would turn out fine. Nice project for learning and might use the experience in the future. Modern automotive paints with a hard clear-coat would hold up great. If the frame has paint rather than powder-coat you can use a milder remover than aviation grade.

Do you think you can do it?

Quote Originally Posted by jbsmith View Post
    I'm not sure where to post this, it seemed that frame building was the closest fit...

That said I have an old REI Novara bike that I've only kept because it is a great aluminum frame. I've converted it to a SS but it could use some reconditioning. I'm not a huge fan of the paint scheme (even when I bought it new) so I was curious if I could use some aircraft paint stripper to strip it down and repaint it.

Is it possible for me to repaint it myself without it looking like a POS? I'd like to paint it flat black...

All comments/thoughts are welcomed!

mtbr member
    I am thinking about repainting my frame too. I came across this web site that explained all procedures needed for a DIY project. Look easy, but time consuming and I have no idea if the paint will be scratched easily even after the clear coat. Craftmanship will be another unknown for me since I have no prior experience in doing something similar.

Paint a Bike - wikiHow

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    How about a carbon frame?