mtbr member

Question for Ti builders

Am getting back into building some Ti frames from a 20 yr hiatus. Most of my original equipment is gone and I'm slowing putting it all together again.

I have a new welder, but i need a gas lens for the torch (WP26) that accommodates large cups.

arc-zone welding supplies has a clear pyrex cup and gas lens kit on fleabay for $80. to fit my torch.

Anyone had any experience with them?

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I haven't used one and can't comment on it specifically. Eric Baar uses something like that but I think he had to stuff some scothbrite in it to sort out the gas flow. I know several people who have given them away.

I'm currently using a Tika cup as sold through UBI (bikeschool.com) and it's outrageously good...with some mods. The cheapest way to get into it is just to get a big gas lens and a #12 cup. I used that for years and it works just fine at about 30cfh flow. The Tika needs 40-45.
    Sean Chaney :: Owner/Builder :: Vertigo Cycles LLC
    flickr :: www.vertigocycles.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Here is a link to a how to build your own "Tika Cup" style gas lens. Its inexpensive and works adequately. Not quite as good as the Tika cup by UBI, but for a fraction of the price and parts are available at any weld supply store.

Fabricating a custom Ti welding cup - YouTube

Fooly

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input all. There has been a lot of Ti activity in the last 20 years that I've missed out on.

The Tika cup from UBI doesn't have a listing for a WP26 torch. I have been using a #10 cup with not bad results on some test welds I have been doing, but without a gas lens.

I may go ahead and try the fleabay kit and at least I can do a review on it for everyone whether good or bad. I really like the idea of the clear pyrex cup that is 1 1/8 " and the visibility it should give.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've used the ck gas saver large cup and it works fine on steel, cannot comment on Ti.
    Gas Saver front end accessory kits from CK Worldwide Quality TIG Welding Torches & Accessories
    I've been disappointed with any Chinese gas lens and prefer good ones like CK.
    I've gone back to a #12 cup but should probably turn up the argon for everything.
    cheers
    andy walker

Plays with tools
    Nothing on a bike frame needs a pyrek cup. Save the scratch and get a ceramic one.