Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

question custom project: widest hubs?

Hi, my custom 36er project is staring over.
    I have to source out the widest hub possible (production or custom, but can't be one of a kind).
    I've been looking at the usual suspects of course, PhilWood, Paul, ChrisKing, 616 and WhiteIndustries. They have some solutions but non fits exactly my needs
    My goal is:
    front: 135mm or wider OLD, 15 or 20mm thru axle, disc mount and 36 or 48 holes. High flange is a best.
    rear: 170/175/185mm OLD, 12 thru axle, disc mount and 36 or 48 holes. High flange is a best.
    Let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

Harrumph
    I can't think of anything thing through axle wider than 100mm front / 150 rear off the shelf. If you have lots of time and money Phil Wood will make anything.... But LOTS of time AND money.... It will be shiney though!

36 hole is the real killer on your list, quite a few "Fatbike" hubs in 135 front 170 rear out there in 32 hole drilling. Hope makes "fat" versions of the pro2 which *might* be some endcaps and custom axles away from through axle.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Thanks G-reg, yes the 36 holes is mandatory, and even tho I'd like to go 48 holes. The only rims available are 36 or 48...
    DirtySixer36er, Ventana ElCapitan, Soma Smoothie 66cm, Trek T100, ChoiceCollective36er.
    DirtySixer
    36er

WIGGLER
    I like the Pauls hubs that were on the NAHBS Blacksheep 36er, wide and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ of the I9 driver!!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Flatulence Ventriloquist
    Aug 2009
    Look at what Keener did with his....if there are photos around that is.

He cut his hub shells in the middle and turned extensions that press in to widen them. I don't know how wide he went, but it is wider than any fatbike I have ever seen.

I believe he uses an XT disc hub out back. His front is actually two 20mm hubs with disc mounts on both sides to run dual disc brakes in front.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I like your username Typo Knig.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Id braze my own before cutting and pressing hubs. Dont you need to resist torque between the two spoke flanges? What about that DIY CF hub someone posted here about a year ago? You could do what Talon do with their motor cross hubs:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Flatulence Ventriloquist
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I like your username Typo Knig.
    Thanks. One of the super-rare clever moments I have had in my life allegedly....

mtbr member
    Thanks for all these info. Yes, I'm in contact with Keener, and he did a tremendous job. I'm far away from having his skills.
    and no DIY hubs as I need to be able to source them in a -small- quantity...
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Surly has a front hub you might like. 48 spoke drilling too...

mtbr member
    Thanks but... Surly 48 spokes front are for Polo bike: which means rim brake only !
    DirtySixer
    36er

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Thanks for all these info. Yes, I'm in contact with Keener, and he did a tremendous job. I'm far away from having his skills.
    and no DIY hubs as I need to be able to source them in a -small- quantity...
    Depending what a small quantity is, DIY is sure an option.

The way I did carbon based hubs, it was a walk in the park, and the width is entirely arbitrary to the process.

Magura

mtbr member
    May 2011
    You don't really need to worry about balancing torque between the flanges. The old Bullseye hubs were pressed together, with a flange on each end of a center shell. Production tolerances meant that not all of them were a tight fit; I encountered several hubs that could be pulled apart with my bare hands. Once it's all laced up and tensioned it acts the same as a one-piece hub does.

Flatulence Ventriloquist
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHank53 View Post
    I encountered several hubs that could be pulled apart with my bare hands. Once it's all laced up and tensioned it acts the same as a one-piece hub does.
    I second this. I had a Nuke Proof hub do the same thing. I rode it like that for like 6 years and 2 rebuilds without issue.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Why?

I am curious as to why you'd want hubs like this. 48 spokes? Are you building a cargo bike or a tandem or something?

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Flatulence Ventriloquist
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I am curious as to why you'd want hubs like this. 48 spokes? Are you building a cargo bike or a tandem or something?

-W
    I can't speak for the OP, but I know the main reason I would want a wide hub on a 36er is to make a wider sectional triangle between hubs, spokes and rim. I haven't built a 36 inch wheel in my time but I imagine the tension on the spokes to keep the wheel from deflecting laterally must be awefully high.

The 48 spoke thing doesn't make much sense to me either.

I am hoping that by the time I get around to building a 36er, there might be a 32 hole rim available. Wishful thinking I am sure.
    Last edited by Typo_Knig; 08-31-2012 at 01:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Hi all and thanks for your input.

-W
    Thanks Walt. Well... 48 holes, because I bought the rims with 48 holes and I'm building the bike keeping in mind that it will be ridden hard (by me 6f6 220lbs) and by friends that are 6f9 and around 380lbs.
    Makes sense to have a 48 spoke wheel, no?
    DirtySixer
    36er

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Those are good reasons!

If I had friends that outweighed me by 160 pounds, I don't think I'd let them borrow my bike!

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by davidfrench View Post
    Hi all and thanks for your input.

Thanks Walt. Well... 48 holes, because I bought the rims with 48 holes and I'm building the bike keeping in mind that it will be ridden hard (by me 6f6 220lbs) and by friends that are 6f9 and around 380lbs.
    Makes sense to have a 48 spoke wheel, no?
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    If I had friends that outweighed me by 160 pounds, I don't think I'd let them borrow my bike!

-Walt
    Yes... that means that even me can't really fight for my bike back!
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    But if you are making these for small production, are you going to target large riders? I agree a large wheel should have more spokes and wider flange spacing. Will this be singlespeed? We have some bomb-proof SS hubs in the works which would be easy for us to meet your requiremnts by the way they are constructed.

mtbr member
    Hi Tacoman, yes, tall and heavy riders. I'm interested in knowing more about your hubs. I couldn't find them on your website tho.
    email or PM please.
    Thanks!
    DirtySixer
    36er

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hi David, I did respond to your email. We should have the hubs released in about 2-3 months. The only details I can comment is that they are designed for singlespeeds and will handle a lot of torque. They will use cogs of our own design which is a key feature in what allows them to be so strong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Here is what our cogs for the hubs will look like. The hubs are still a few months away, but we just released our Quick-Cog which fits on a standard cassette spline. Our hubs will not require the inner black aluminum driver (shown in the picture) as the large spline of the cog will be part of our hub.

Lunar Bikes - Single Speed Cogs

WIGGLER
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoMan View Post
    Here is what our cogs for the hubs will look like. The hubs are still a few months away, but we just released our Quick-Cog which fits on a standard cassette spline. Our hubs will not require the inner black aluminum driver (shown in the picture) as the large spline of the cog will be part of our hub.

Lunar Bikes - Single Speed Cogs
    Nice idea can you make 24-27 tooth ?
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Tandem Hubs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast