Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pvd
    mtbr member

The PVD WarBird - The show bike that you won't see at the show.

I going to NAHBS but I will be too busy with other projects while there to babysit a bike. I did this bike up as my virtual booth. Here it is, The PVD WarBird. A singlespeed designed to attack and kill. A weapon. The mix between a dagger and a tank.

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=PVD_WarBird_SS

Gabe.....
    Bring it...............................................p lease
    Last edited by Smokebikes; 02-12-2010 at 12:03 PM.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Who turned out the lights
    Looks good Peter. Care to share any better pics of the driveside chainstay/bb connection/interface? I think I know what you did there to solve the chainring/tire issue, but I'm just curious to see a little more.

mtbr member
    Great build Pete , loving that color !
    Follow me on Instagram for up to date build pics -Brad4130
    Nem-Pro store
    Nem-Pro Blog

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    Bring it...............................................p lease
    no piggybacking at the show...

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen
    no piggybacking at the show...
    Not to be upidstay.....but what is "piggybacking"?
    I know that bike is sweet and all but wouldn't it be fun to take that thing into the forest for a real ride?
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mbtr member
    Things i like:

color
    name
    geometry
    saint parts on rigid bike
    saint brake and 140mm rotor
    bb/chainstay design

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    PVD consistently shows off some of the coolest sh!t here. I dig it.

PS: Glad it's a 26er rather than a 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Another nice one, Pete. I had no idea you did the R3 trucks (was browsing your wiki). I used to snowboard with John Gilmore.
    Too many bikes, not enough time.

mtbr member
    Peter,
    Very nicely done. I really like how the rendering matches the real thing. Its almost difficult to tell what's real and what's virtual. Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokebikes
    Not to be upidstay.....but what is "piggybacking"?
    I know that bike is sweet and all but wouldn't it be fun to take that thing into the forest for a real ride?
    FYI...no forests in Richmond However, I'd be up for a ride regardless!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yup, thats nice allright, the chainstay offset hoopty is super clean too.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Naive question: Why build a frame with suspension corrected geometry then fit rigid forks? I'd have thought it would be better to design the frame and forks around a non-corrected design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton
    Care to share any better pics of the driveside chainstay/bb connection/interface?
    Agreed. Flat plate offsetting a sliced tube...?

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicknoxx
    Why build a frame with suspension corrected geometry then fit rigid forks? I'd have thought it would be better to design the frame and forks around a non-corrected design.
    It would be, but this bike will be used with a suspension fork about 95% of the time. I say that in the wiki. I just wanted to have a completely integrated front end and show off a bit of design in the fork. Now that the bike is getting dirty the real fork goes on it.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton
    Care to share any better pics of the driveside chainstay/bb connection/interface?
    Sure. I'll dig that up. It's pretty slick. The print and model actually show a different design than was used on the bike. I continue to evolve my CS/Tire/Chainring solution. It's a hell of a problem, Especially to get big tires in on super short stays and keep all three rings.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    well i'll take guess here,peter can correct me if i get anything wrong. He wants the handle bar exactly where it is,if you shorten the fork and extend the steerer tube of the frame and the steerer of the fork(downward) that's lengthening two tubes,one rather thick and the frame tube kind of big,more weight and sort of a funny aesthetic. Now if you shorten the fork and leave the steering tubes the same length,you get a very odd stem, a lot of rise ,very short.. I think the last bike of his i saw was kind of along those lines One last possibility i thought of while writing is to have riser bars or those old style welded up bar ste combo. Pvd went with this particular balence, infinite variations are possible, this is sort of a mid ground, i wonder if there's a particular suspension fork he's got in mind. This design lets you have the possibility of a quick easy 5 bolt change over. My .02

pvd
    mtbr member
    I've been moving toward longer head tubes lately. I'm trying to get more bearing separation to reduce the loads that the bearings are working against and to give more front end feel and precision to the bike. The Millenium Falcon (http://pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=P...lennium_Falcon) started toward this, but that was a pure race bike for a young gun, so it didn't really stand out. On this bike, I was limited in that I had a perfectly good suspension fork with a 200mm steerer that I was hoping to use so I didn't have to buy a new one. That forced me to raise the stem slightly. Plus, I'm not looking to make the head tube crazy long. Just a little extra for added strength. I'm really loving the astetic short low stems and long front centers. It just makes the bike look so serious.

What I love about framebuilding as a hobby is that I get to really think deep about what I'm trying to do, build and example, then ride it to see if that was the case. It's very fulfilling to continue to squeeze just a little more out of something that has been studied for about 150 years. It just shows how much we can still learn about anything.

awesome
    Very nice.

I'm wondering about the crankset choice, is that for showing off a bit or is it because the Saint superior stiffness offers an advantage in ss over a lighter, no nonsense alternative like the SLX?

pvd
    mtbr member
    The Saint cranks were done for fun and bling. I usually modify SLX or XT cranks for SS use. I wanted to have some fun with this build though. I've been running the Saint brakes on all my trail bikes lately. They are absolutely amazing. The best there is. The just ain't light.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    It's very fulfilling to continue to squeeze just a little more out of something that has been studied for about 150 years. It just shows how much we can still learn about anything.
    Right on Pete, that's what so many folks forget to embrace
    As requested by the MTBR gods, I am the voice of Groovy Cycleworks, check it out... http://www.groovycycleworks.com

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    They only thing I don't like about that bike (and others you've done similarly) is the blacked out seat tube extension. Just leave it the frame colour. Otherwise beautiful stuff like usual.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    its inner tube to stop crap going in the seat tube slot i think....like old bontys used to have.

interesting numbers. very new school...if thats the word. short back end, slack angles, 80 ish trail, lowish bb...im sure it'll rail....nice. so how much sag does a rigid length of 447 equate to? about 25mm or so?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Indeed it is an inner tube; aren't I a dummy.....

That is a really good idea I may have to try....

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    here's a question,when you lengthen the headtube are you really strengthening the frame by much/any, geometricly you're moving away from an actual front triangle towards more of a trapazoid(?). Your leverage on the welds and other materials improves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast