Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PVD Mercury.

pvd
    mtbr member

PVD Mercury.

mtbr member
    welcome back PVD

Old school BMXer
    Aesthetics are...well...there are lots of lines and ridges...
    May the air be filled with tires!

mwb
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    Aesthetics are...well...there are lots of lines and ridges...
    +1

According to the other thread I thought the rings were to aid in the headset transition. Make it more visually pleasing. Not what I was expecting.

Good looking bike though....

nothing relevant to say
    Love that BB.

mtbr member
    Lots of cool stuff going on. What did you do to form the right chainstay?

-Joel
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    nice work.

how bout the print?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice bike. But this statement on the website leaves me scratching my head: "this bike is designed specifically to completely dominate Marin California singletrack".

What singletrack? Tamarancho and China Camp? That's pretty much it unless you are riding illegally. Tamarancho is okay, but you could dominate that one trail with a lot less fork travel and just one gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    unless you are riding illegally
    bingo.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Clockwork Bikes
    Lots of cool stuff going on. What did you do to form the right chainstay?

-Joel
    Looks like an interrupted tube with a bent piece of flat stock staggering them, no? It's a little obscured beneath the paint, but that's what I'm getting out of it.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29
    Tamarancho and China Camp?
    Those are great places for beginners and novice riders to start the learning process, but the experienced riders know where the big game is played. We are probably just swimming in two very different pools.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Print should be up this weekend. Sorry to be so slack. I've been distracted with a bunch of motorcycle projects.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

I do have one question, your spec sheet says the rear dropouts are Paragon low mount dics, yet they don't look like those.

Jeremy

pvd
    mtbr member
    My bad on the specs. I was a bit sloppy documenting bike. I fixed it now and the tubes will make much more sence although I still have to find out where I wrote down the exact top and down tubes.

http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?tit...cury_MTB#Tubes

On another note, I got the bike out on a quality test ride yesterday. The stem needs to come down just a little bit but otherwise the bike rides amazing. The Shimano 2x10 is so solid and works so well. The front shifter/front derailure are dialed. The rear is smooth like glass. The new XTR trail pedal is the only choice now (asside from DX for DH). Like having a platform under your clip, but nothing at all more than is needed. Super cool.

The rest of the parts, Saint brakes, VAN140QR15, EC90, etc are already established as killer.

The bike was already slack at 69.25 with a 655 front center. Slacking it more with 0.5 degrees in the Angleset was a bit much for general trail riding, but would be sweet for downieville runs or super d race. The Angleset is interesting, but will probably be replaced after some testing. The head angle of this bike is already in the range.

The new 2x systems make me laugh. I was running my version of 2x9 at the 2007 Sea Otter. I was stoked when one of the engineers from Shimano asked me if he could take a few pictures of it. I figured that they were working on something.

Here's a post of mine from winter of 2006/2007 during development:
    http://www.pvdwiki.com/index.php?title=2x9_ala_PVD

just ride
    Peter - nice bike, nice design.

A few questions - How did you make the tapered head tube? Turned down from a big thick tube?

I see you are not running a tapered fork, presumably to use the AngleSet. If AngleSet was the primary design criteria, why didnt you build the frame with OnePointFive, which would have been easier to make the HT in steel than the tapered HT? Or was the frame already designed for tapered, and then AngleSet came out, and it was an obvious addition?

Also, on your mitering if the DT, there is no way to really accurately get the taper of the HT figured in, so did you then just do the final fitting to the tapered HT by hand file?

Overall, its really nice, and really clean, like how I romanticize steel frames in my mind.....
    MTBR Disclaimer: I work for Salsa Cycles
    Ride: www.chequamegon100.com

pvd
    mtbr member
    The down tube was mitered cylindrically then hand filed at the taper. It was fairly simple to get a great fit. Just a few minutes with a file like any other hand miter. No worries.

The head tube design was made prior to the ZS44 1.5" release. I needed a tapered design since that's all we'll see from now on for single crown. I would have done the top Integrated 1.125" but I hadn't figured out a design that I trusted so I went with ZS44 to make the whole tube from one peice of thick 4130. I really wasn't too happy about this design thinking it was too crude and below myu personal standards so the bike kinda around for 2 months needing just a few braze on's. When I realized that I could put an Cane Creek Angleset in, the bike seemed much cooler and I got stoked. It's just kinda neat for right now.

http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=327

My next few bicycles will feature head tubes with integrated 1.125" top and ZS44 1.5" lower headset. A two peice design using a main tube diameter of 1.500". This will look much leaner and more elegant than what I've got here. I've got it all designed and hoped to do a new version of my urban road bike that will be more fun to ride. Steel forks on road bikes are just donkey and I'd love to have nice tapered carbon fork on the next bike.

mtbr member
    i dont get the high rise stem. you are always gumming off about custom blah blah blah you're the best, but you build a bike specifically for yourself and you need a 10? degree stem? to make it fit. wtf?

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000
    i dont get it....
    You are 100% correct. You don't get it. You don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Gabe.....
    Welcome back PVD, been a while...........nice concept, looks good.
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

pvd
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chequamagon
    If AngleSet was the primary design criteria, why didnt you build the frame with OnePointFive, which would have been easier to make the HT in steel than the tapered HT? Or was the frame already designed for tapered, and then AngleSet came out, and it was an obvious addition?
    Getting back to this. A straight OnePointFive tube on a steel bike is wildly heavy and is quite ugly. The scale of the top and down tubes meeting the enormous head tube just looks horrible and crude. The only way to get the weight down and have the scale proper is to reduce the outside diameter to the absolute minimum possible. That is not the case with this design, but it's better than nothing. The next revision with the IS/44 is going to be right. I actually cant wait to make it.

Also, I had a perfectly good VAN140QR15 with a straight steerer on hand. It seemed like a waste to buy a new fork just to have it tapered. I'll probably spring for a 2012 model fork with a carbon steerer/crown for that upgrade. That's next september.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I can't even bring myself to lay out an underhanded compliment.
    I'ts just a good looking bike. Period.
    Thanks for putting it out there.

mbtr member

hahaha I've met you!

Sharp looking bike.

pvd
    mtbr member
    wtf?
    I guess that I missed class the day you you learned all about putting a bike together. Take a look at this garbage you put together. 30mm spacer stack, a 90 degree stem, and a high rise handlebar. Are you kidding? Seriously? You do lame work like this and you get all worked up when you see me doing it right? Keep your head in the sand boy. It's safe there.

ps. Man up and put a big ring on that bike. You can't ride slow forever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    I guess that I missed class the day you you learned all about putting a bike together. Take a look at this garbage you put together. 30mm spacer stack, a 90 degree stem, and a high rise handlebar. Are you kidding? Seriously? You do lame work like this and you get all worked up when you see me doing it right? Keep your head in the sand boy. It's safe there.

ps. Man up and put a big ring on that bike. You can't ride slow forever.

if you notice i never put a retarded claim like "the new standard" in any post i've made. why don't you copy another e13 chainguide and tout is as the latest greatest pvd product again. stay as a hero on the internet. it's safe there d00$h

btw its a 50mm stem and i guess you ran that retarded high rise stem so you could run that flat bar you had lying around and have no spacers.awesome custom work and definitely a new standard

pvd
    mtbr member
    btw its a 50mm stem and i guess you ran that retarded high rise stem so you could run that flat bar you had lying around and have no spacers.
    Just lost. You don't even know what you don't know.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast