Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?

Lets try this again..

Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-1395453_603563749700962_358787561_n-m.jpg

Ps: Picture thanks to Peter Verdone

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    I think I just saw that over on Welding Web. I am curious how to achieve that, and if it actually serves a purpose besides needing multiple passes. (i guess it is a form of multi-pass, really!)
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I think I just saw that over on Welding Web. I am curious how to achieve that, and if it actually serves a purpose besides needing multiple passes. (i guess it is a form of multi-pass, really!)
    I'm pretty sure this is how is done..

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    You are going to have to make this relevant to bikes or I'm binning it again.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You are going to have to make this relevant to bikes or I'm binning it again.

-Walt
    So you are the one that did it, I was not sure why..

Relevant to bikes, well I can not answer that, relevant to TIG welding technics I'm all over..

Do what you wish, but give the posting a day so some other people can collaborate and see where it goes..

In fact show us some of you pretty welds please..

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    You've got a day. What you've posted so far is IMO not on topic but if it develops into something useful, great.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Okay Nicolai's have pretty much the best weld in the bicycle industry, at least for aluminum.

Here are some of mine, Raw M-pire.

The machining is also magnificent.

I like it so much that I got another one..

The little argon too..

This one is not mine but still a good example..

Show us what you got..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-fr2-m.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You've got a day. What you've posted so far is IMO not on topic but if it develops into something useful, great.

-Walt
    Thanks..

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    My friend JP is a amazing TIG welder, but he was not even sure this was a weld, but a machine process (Reason why I start this posting)

Thin wall steel forks with out the need of a rod.

Oh yeah he can weld aluminum too, this bike is from 1986

Yeah very innovative too..

mtbr member
    The thing about welding bicycle frames that impresses me a lot is how they can maintain their hand positioning to weld a continuous pass all the way around a tube. Start at the bottom and go all the way up over the top, and back around to the bottom without stopping. Would takes some serious contorting to get that off I would think. The welding itself is pretty common Tig work, but to position your body to get smoothly all the way around that tube and the jig fixture takes some skill.
    2013 Salsa El Mariachi 29er
    1995 Giant CFR Team Road Bike
    2001 Bianchi Volpe
    2009 KX250F ... 2004 KDX200

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I'd guess those first ones are machine welded.

Laying down a straight bead with perfect symmetry is hard enough. Doing it around a mitered tube joint is phenomenally difficult. My welds prove it!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    That first one was done by walking the cup and most likely with the aid of a welding positioner. Thats pretty much what i do all day... once you get use to walking the cup its super easy and a positioner will let you hang out at the same torch angle the whole pass making look like so.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    defcon4130 is bang on the money

was going to say this is walking the cup , its primary purpose is to keep constant gap at the torch tip second thing is its dissallowed for certain welds (not bicycle related) at least in the UK

this guy makes pretty welds
    Weldolgy - a set on Flickr

personally i aint no fan of this faux stack of dimes love affair thats going on with wannabe welders , When i got certified many many years ago in aerospace there was no such thing as this make the weld pretty lark, spot welding a bike frame together with big overlapping blobs which are not fused properly? maybe not the best way to put anything together eh? the only way you are going to tell if a critical weld is sound is not by looking at it...but hey its only a bike right

this guy has it right though

Type 3.1 Journeyman Top Tube Length Arm & Head Tube Angle Pivot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by compositepro View Post
    Mostly stainless it would appear. Tends to look more like aluminum than most steels due to its convex profile to avoid cracking during cooling.

spot welding a bike frame together with big overlapping blobs which are not fused properly? maybe not the best way to put anything together eh?
    Couldn't agree more

I really respect Don Ferris's work. Beautiful solid welds.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    defcon4130 is bang on the money

was going to say this is walking the cup , its primary purpose is to keep constant gap at the torch tip second thing is its dissallowed for certain welds (not bicycle related) at least in the UK

Wow amazing, thanks for sharing, so what is he making aerospace (the parts look to heavy)..??

Does he use a fixture to spin the part or how does he do it..
    personally i aint no fan of this faux stack of dimes love affair thats going on with wannabe welders
    I totally confess I'm a Dime fan, but then again and not a welder or at least not a good one..
    When i got certified many many years ago in aerospace there was no such thing as this make the weld pretty lark, spot welding a bike frame together with big overlapping blobs which are not fused properly? maybe not the best way to put anything together eh? the only way you are going to tell if a critical weld is sound is not by looking at it...but hey its only a bike right

this guy has it right though

Type 3.1 Journeyman Top Tube Length Arm & Head Tube Angle Pivot | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Is so much talent on the bike industry..

mtbr member
    Practice!
    My dad was a boiler welder full cert & my GF welded for over 30+ years - practice!

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I always liked Nicolai's welds as well, I think Devin Lenz has some beautiful welds too. I have seen his in person but not a Nicolai. The OP's weld pic is very cool though.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'd take Garro's untouched brazes over any tig weld hands down. Works of art.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Any pictures of his work..?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Any pictures of his work..?
    You must be new around here.

coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    You must be new around here.
    Around this parts of the forum for sure since I have not frame building skills, I'm basically a confess hack.. I agree, fantastic work..

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Pateinto i dont know what he's making , i know of a company in the USA who make turbo manifolds and inlets ,toxic fab or something, again its all stainless, i was taught to weld Ti and aluminium ,whilst many find aluminium difficult i find it easier and more forgiving than steel

tig vs Braze........Garro already knows the answer as do a whole host of guys who used to build racing motorcycle frames

Hi.
    We have a lot of local talented welders (Potts, Steelman, etc.) but I gotta admit the guys at Firefly really know their way around a weld:

Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-weld-ti-630px-1.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino View Post
    We have a lot of local talented welders (Potts, Steelman, etc.) but I gotta admit the guys at Firefly really know their way around a weld:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weld-ti-630px-1.jpg 
Views:	1631 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	840996
    Very nice..

Actually I have another funky project, made by "el camino fabrication" that used to be located in Berkeley now in Portland..
    Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-img_6228-m.jpg

Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-img_6229-m.jpg

Is this the prettiest weld you have even seeing or what..!?!?-img_6207-m.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    whilst many find aluminium difficult i find it easier and more forgiving than steel
    I'm new to TIG (been brazing for 18 years) but I find this too - much more comfortable TIGing with aluminium than I am with steel. It's the larger puddle size I think, more like fillet brazing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast