mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Opinions on dent in top tube of Salsa El Mariachi - Pics inside

Is this dent too significant to merit buying? I've found what I thought was a decent deal locally until I spied a dent in the top tube. I asked the seller for additional pictures. Would you still purchase this or walk away?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Opinions on dent in top tube of Salsa El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa1.jpg  

Opinions on dent in top tube of Salsa El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa2.jpg  

Opinions on dent in top tube of Salsa El Mariachi - Pics inside-salsa3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Depends on what you feel is important. The frame won't break. A seasoned traveller who goes Third World would say you've just broken it in. A perfectionist would walk away. Where are you on the scale? Don't pay too much, its a bargining point.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

Let's get weird
    I had the same El Mariachi in the same color with a similar dent in the top tube. Yes, it eventually began to crack at the ends of the dent crease. It was very slow to spread and I eventually replaced the entire front triangle when the down tube failed at the point of the gusset.

Still have the frame and rode it for several years thereafter.

mtbr member
    I've done and seen worse but kept on rollin'. I doubt very much that it will affect the ride other than mentally. If you can, take it into your LBS and let them evaluate the frame. I believe the frame is steel so it can be repaired later down the line should you choose to love it. Certainly, it is a bargaining chip to use in your favor. I would walk away if the seller wants too much or isn't willing to bargain. That said, I don't know what the asking price is, but the dent in and of itself is not a deal breaker for me.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm by no means a perfectionist, but at the same time I don't really want a bike frame that will fail which could cause injury and the hassle of taking it to a shop to have the triangle repaired (which it sounds like eventually I may have to do if the dent is significant).

I'm going to go look at it in person tonight and the guy is asking $500 for it, which I thought was a decent price until I saw the dent, now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking I don't necessarily want to pay more than $400 for it. Is that too much or am I being unreasonable? Obviously a it depends on the components on the bike.

mtbr member
    From the pics looks pretty stock, if the headset and stem are representative of the rest of the components. 500's a bit much for me. I figure without a front shock original price was around 1000 or lil more. Once it's "taken off the lot" price is roughly half IMO. If you don't want to pay more than 400, start your bidding lower. If he laughs it off, walk away and wait till next week to ask again.
    You can always argue that you'll need to roll out the dent, fill it, and repaint. That's time and money. I certainly wouldn't want anyone to feel taken advantage of, but the ride isn't new and the dent could be indicative of the history. Still, it's a Salsa and certainly has more life in it.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So it ended up being a fairly stock bike with some budgets components. The dent actually doesn't look bad aside from a small crack in the paint which didn't seem to have any rust or discoloration around the crack in the paint. He claims it fell over in the garage the first week he had it and the rest of the frame looks really good so I believe him. The guy mentioned he bought the frame on closeout after the season so I offered him $350 and he said $400 cash so I walked away, we'll see if he changes his mind.