mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Old bike refurb??

I have an old scott bike, the frame is perfect, no rust or damage. The chain, gearing, brakes and forks are all rusted up.

It's not been ridden in about 5 years and has often sat in the rain.

I'm getting a brand new bike and a mate of mine wants to rebuild this bike instead of buying one.

I was wondering if i can repair the shocks, remove the rust and clean it all up. If not i was wondering roughly how much it could cost for replacing basically everything other than the frame??

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mwils View Post

I was wondering if i can repair the shocks, remove the rust and clean it all up. If not i was wondering roughly how much it could cost for replacing basically everything other than the frame??
    Waaay too broad of a question, price is determined by level/quality of components choosen, almost always a losing $ proposition to do it. This is the wrong forum, try Tooltime and please do some research before asking for an answer to such a wide open question.

Brian

mtbr member
    Like Brian said, wrong forum, but what does he want to do with it? If all of the components are shot and the frame is decent enough, you could buy something like a Sram X.5 or X.7 gruppo and go from there. IMO, I would build it as a SS full rigid bike. Much simpler, less expensive and fun!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Probably be more cost-effective to buy a new bike with the gears and wheels you want and swap the bits over (as long as everything is compatible, which will be determined by the frame in question).