Just Joshin' ya!

Need Help From a Frame Builder

I have a Voodoo Nakisi monstercross frame that has a kink in the top tube. The frame is steel and I am wondering if this thing is still safe to ride? Or is there a way to fix this? I wanted to build it up as a road bike for someone who needs a commuter, but I would not want to give them something unsafe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need Help From a Frame Builder-top-tub.jpg  

Need Help From a Frame Builder-nakisi.jpg  

What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

Old school BMXer
    I think the best anyone can guesstimate is that it might be ok. Or it might not. It completely depends on the person who rides it and the actual riding conditions.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    You can restore some of the roundness by clamping it in greased wooden clamps into a vise and rotating it up and down using the BB for leverage, you will damage some paint doing this. The wooden clamps are drilled hardwood blocks, split along the drilled length.The hole must be the same diameter as the tube.

Your frame won't break, but it will never be like it was, it hurts a bit...

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    would anyone have the balls to pop that out with the ice technique? curious not sarcastic.

also I would wonder if trying to pop it out would be worse for fatiguing that kink spot at the corner of the dent, creating more of a starting point for a crack.

fwiw I would run it as is keeping a close eye on it. there is a bigger dent than that on the top side of the top tube on my aluminum bianchi that is is also closer to the head tube, and has been that way for a few years with hard commuter use. if I were to see a crack start to form at the edge of the dent I would quit riding it.

Hi.
    That bike should be fine as a commuter, especially as a steel frame. It would require some weird forces acting on the bike to make the frame brake due to that dent, unless it's already cracked.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Trash it. Keep the fork.