mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Need a brace on this type of disc dropout?

When using this type of dropout in steel, http://www.paragonmachineworks.com/s...-10465326.aspx is a brace needed? (26 mtb)

cheers

P

Moderator Moderator

No

Any dropout where the disc mount is integrated will work fine with no extra bracing - the dropout itself allows the load to be shared between chain/seat stays.

-Walt

mtbr member
    I don't know if I agree with Walt's "any dropout" comment necessarily (I could see an under-built one that wouldn't work), but I'd say that one should be fine.

As an anecdotal data point, I've broken a seat stay on a bike with Breezer drops, separate disc mount & no brace, but not with one of those paragon ones.

Gabe.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    As an anecdotal data point, I've broken a seat stay on a bike with Breezer drops, separate disc mount & no brace, but not with one of those paragon ones.
    Two defferent animals............with and without.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need a brace on this type of disc dropout?-s5031683.jpg  

Need a brace on this type of disc dropout?-s5031953.jpg  

"Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

mtbr member
    I'd put one, just to be on the safe side, if I were making the bike for me, but that's just me. The extra brace wouldn't weigh much, and it'd be a good piece of mind addition.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like the Instigator dropouts outlived the Instigator frame.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I would say no for normal trail use. I have put them on bikes that I knew would be abused.
    ie, landing a jump with the brake locked.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Three factors: Tubing thickness, Type of brakes, riding style...

Depends on the thickness of the tubing at the top-most part of the dropout. I personally spec a thicker .049 seatstay on jumping bikes to avoid the brace. Thinner tubing has more flex at the top of the dropout and tends to fatigue over time.

On the first generation Blk Mrkt Mob jumping hardtail there were failures without a brace, due mostly to the fact that the tubing was 1mm or .035 (despite the disc dropout being all one piece) Their new frames obviously have braces...

I owned the older version and I never broke it, mostly because of the fact that I dont run hydros... and the frame never much saw high speed braking.

Put a brace on the thing if your tubing's thin (.035-), running hydros and your planning on decelerating speedy descents

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Great responses guys! The tubing is Columbus Life, without looking it up I'm not sure of the thickness, but I'd guess - thin!

I've seen this on a frame for sale, and I'm probably the sort of rider that will be fairly hard on it over time - not abuse though!

Cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0