Dirt Huffer

Mirror polishing Ti questions...

I'm looking to take on another polishing job. I did an Al frame last and had it plated but i'd like to not have to coat or plate this frame. Question, how well will a mirror finish Ti resist oxidizing? Will the mirror finish last with minimal maintenance?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    A mate of mine polished a Litespeed a few years back, it picked up fingerprints quite easily but didn't really tarnish. He was fairly regular with cleaning and buffing with a rag, so it kept it's shine pretty well.

≈ > ♥
    Mirror polished Ti won't oxidize. It will, however, pick up and show small scratches very easily, as well as any grease or grime. Takes the odd bit of elbow grease to keep the mirror up, but looks good if that's done.

I much prefer a matte blast finish on my ti frames. Much less maintenance intensive.

AZ
    banned
    Paste wax goes a long way towards maintaining the finish.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have been looking into a clear coat for aluminum/stainless projects and came across this stuff:
    Restore the Color and Luster to Metal and Keep Metal Looking Its Best.

Haven't tried it yet but it sounds interesting.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    this is a Titanium 650b that I polished up I have found the best way for me to get a mirror finish on titanium is to sanded it I start with 600 grit and go up to a 1500 grit paper it is almost to a polished when you are done sanding.I have titanium suspension arms on snowmobiles that have been polished for five years that are not tarnished at all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mirror polishing Ti questions...-showbike.jpg  

Dirt Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by DSB Bikes View Post
    this is a Titanium 650b that I polished up I have found the best way for me to get a mirror finish on titanium is to sanded it I start with 600 grit and go up to a 1500 grit paper it is almost to a polished when you are done sanding.I have titanium suspension arms on snowmobiles that have been polished for five years that are not tarnished at all

That looks great thanks!

Did you hit it with the buffer after 1500 or just keep it as is?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    after I get done sanding I run them on the buffing the compound for stainless steel we'll get the scratches.the compound for aluminum will bring it to a mirrored finish

Dirt Huffer
    Cool. i've been using black, brown, and white compounds in that order to polish. I'm not sure what each is for. But i've polished engine parts and now bike frames and the white really brings everything out.