mtbr member

Lugged suspension 29er

The first mountain bike I lusted after was a Bridgestone MB-1 circa 1991? I hope anyone out there knows what I am talking about. I worked at a bike shop that carried Bridgestone but didn't have the cake to buy one...and the next year Bridgestone went out of business. The MB-1 was known for ovalizing its head tubes so not many remain. 20+ years later I decided to make myself an updated version (hopefully without the head tube problem), 29 inch wheels, suspension corrected, ebb, disc brakes. I just finished giving it a crappy rattle can paint job and electrical tape sticker kit.

The lug set is a Llewellyn Crescendo (Slant Six). I flipped the seat lug to make the top tube possible. Had some help curving the TT from Dave Hill at Victoria Cycles. The BB is a Niner ebb, this was somewhat necessary to get the bb low enough but I wanted the one-speed option and also wanted on-the-fly frame dimension changes (front center, bb height, cs length, st angle).

The MB-9 was my first lugged bike. Lugs are silly but beautiful. Expensive, heavy, limiting, yes but fun to play with. It was fun to design and only my third frame so lots of learning and mistakes all around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lugged suspension 29er-mb9-small2.jpg  

Lugged suspension 29er-mb9-small.jpg  

There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

mtbr member
    Nicely done.

Retro Nostalgia but modernised, a good personal challenge and well executed.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Very cool. I really like the "MB-9" moniker, nice salute to old school builds.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I like this a lot. I think if Bridgestone were still making mountain bikes (let's pretend that Rivendell doesn't exist), they would look like this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Sticks View Post
    The first mountain bike I lusted after was a Bridgestone MB-1 circa 1991?
    Ah yes. My first "real" mountain bike was a 1990 MB-2. Man, I loved that bike - loved everything about it as well as the ethics or vibe of the company. Years later it became my first single speed (although by then I'd outgrown the frame). I still have the frame and fork kicking around, just can't bring myself to let it go, even though my better have refers to it as "the junker".

Thanks for the post, that brings back some memories. Nice job on the MB-9.

mtbr member
    Nice. When I saw the topic I thought this was *full* suspension lugged, which seemed like a stretch (but potentially cool). This seems nicely executed especially how the curved TT works with the lug dimensions (with aforementioned flip). I had an RB-1 as my first real road bike. I noticed the "period correct" sweet wings, too!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the positivity. I'm glad I struck a chord.
    There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

mtbr member

Lugged suspension 29er

Excellent build, it looks great! I always wanted an MB-1 or Zip too.
    I'm impressed that you were able to use lugs with the arc'd top tube. Whats the geometry?
    Rad that the decals are vinyl tape, and it's cool to see someone is still using Sweet Wing cranks! I had a pair too.

I also thought it was a lugged dually thread and didn't look from fear...

mtbr member
    Thanks Whit. I mentioned 'suspension' in the title because I have never seen anyone make a suspension 29er mtb with cast lugs before. The Slant Six has good tube diameters but the fixed angles seem to require a rigid fork, that is where the ebb helped.

The curved TT just required a full size drawing, some high school geometry recollection, a long string for a compass, and some luck.

The Sweet Wings are the sickest cranks ever. Could you imagine making a set of those? The guy who did those should be given some sort of medal. I've been looking for a good place for those cranks since I started riding big wheels. Sometimes things just fall into place.

The geometry as follows (all dimensions to the center of the ebb):
    HT angle: 68*
    ST angle: 72*
    TT length: 595mm
    Front center: 679mm
    CS length: 440mm
    BB drop: 45mm

mtbr member
    It's been done before:

Lugged suspension 29er-bohemian_cycles_orange_29er.jpg

Bohemian from NAHMBS several years ago.

More intended as edumacation rather than a correction

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    It's been done before:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bohemian_Cycles_orange_29er.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	801912
    Sick Sticks FWIW I think yours is way cooler looking.

650b me
    I like it! Thanks for sharing.

Another reminisce-r here...my first mtb was a '92? MB-3. Bought it when I still lived in Illinois, moved to Colorado, rode it everywhere: Front Range, Winter Park, Crested Butte, Steamboat, Durango, Moab... Damn shame I didn't realize what I had. I abandoned it next to a construction dumpster several years ago after neglecting it and letting it rust. But I'll bet some construction worker's son is riding it to this day.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    That is some fantastic work. Very clever, curving the tube and flipping the lug! I like it!

Got any in-construction pictures for us? Or pics of the other frames you've done?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Stokeless Asshat

Adjusted for 80mm

I'm not sure what lug set he used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lugged suspension 29er-imgp0022.jpg  

Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

shifty
    Nov 2010
    That's outstanding!

-B

Nemophilist
    Yes!

Striking another blow against the insidious ordinary!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Where and when can I order one?