mtbr member

Low Pressure Propane regulator?

At the advice of Doug Fattic and others here, I found/purchased an oxygen concentrator to use with a oxy/propane setup for fillet brazing.

As I understand it, I'll be using very low pressure from both sources. Are there specific numbers I should be starting out with? I have seen quite a few videos, and read quite a bit about firing up an Oxy/Propane torch and understand that it takes multiple steps to get the flame balanced and powerful. These adjustments all happen at the torch, right? What are your regulators set to?

Other than this: Low Pressure Regulators | Cobra Torches I'm not seeing any "good" regulators for use at low psi. Any thoughts/preferences you'd like to share would be appreciated.

Also, the Devilbiss 525DS that I picked up claims to put out 5LPM at 8.5psi. Do I need any sort of regulator on the Oxy side of things, or will the volume control be my only adjustment?

builder of frames
    Mar 2010
    I've used a setting between 2 and 5 psi on my propane tank. I prefer a lower pressure because it seems to be easier to keep lit when I am adjusting the flame in the beginning but they all work. The oxygen concentrator does not need any kind of outside regulator. Its flow can be set by the knob in the front. Its setting depends on the size of tip you are using. For a Victor #2 tip I have it set a little above 3 LPM. For a #3 tip it is around 4.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The Ameriflame regulator I use seems to be out of stock at Amazon, so this seems to be the next best thing in terms of a low price propane regulator.

SMITH PROPANE REGULATOR CGA510 MED DUTY 30-50-510 - Amazon.com

mtbr member
    The reg you linked to, as well as all others I could find, go up to ~60psi on the gauge. This makes it hard to dial in setting lower than 5psi.

The cobra one I linked to has a gauge that only shows up to 15psi, making it easier to dial in. I'm assuming (but may be wrong) that the T-handle has finer threads as well, making for finer adjustments.

Are there any other models that have a lower gauge and finer adjustment?

Am I wanting something I don't need? Should I just grab any ol' regulator?

Would a fixed 3, 4, or 5 psi regulator for home use be suitable? They are certainly cheaper!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Propane regulators have been discussed here previously and some use an ox/acet regulator without any problems, you may find a less expensive one than the smith propane reg. Seems like the difference is limited to gauge's red zone on the acet reg. As far as the fixed reg, as Doug points out different size tips require different psi for optimal performance so...... Disclaimer: I've never used propane, only read about it here on BF and thats where my info is coming from.

Brian

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think you're focusing too much on getting the pressure exactly right at the regulator. You just need enough pressure to get the flame you want without having so much that it blows out the flame. You make your fine adjustment at the torch. I've found it fairly easy to set the pressure just below 5psi with a regulator that goes up to 60.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. Thanks everyone.

Now my challenge is making sense of all the different connections. I'd like to mount the regulator right to my propane tank. I'm not finding straight answers online and I'd rather not have 9" of adapters before the regulator.

I've also found clarification that using an acetylene regulator with propane is okay.

Anyone have a part number for something they've used that will let me mount straight to the bottle, or with minimal adapters.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What kind of tank are you going to use? The cga510 will screw right onto a barbecue grill tank. That's how mine is set up. They are more expensive, but I highly recommend getting the Smith kevlar hoses. Mine have A fittings on one end for the victor style torch and B fittings on the other end that will connect right to your o2 generator and the regulator. If you unscrew the plastic hose barb from the o2 generator, there is a B fitting that the hose will screw right onto.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    your LWS should be able to sell you an adapter to go from a propane tank to an acetylene regulator

Tinman tech sells kevlar hoses for considerably less than the Smith hoses. One consideration for a beginner is that it's easy to burn a hole in the hoses with flux. They are really nice to braze with though.

mtbr member
    Low Pressure Propane regulator?-tank-oxycon.jpg

Well, turns out the old Acetylene regulator I had lying around works with the propane tank from my grill.

The whole setup includes a Devilbiss 525DS Oxycon that puts out 5+LPM at 8.5psi. I have temporarily attached an old harris torch with a welding tip and some older hose. All checked with leak detector and good to go.

I'm unable to keep a flame with the welding tip, as expected. However, I'm able to consistently light it with super low propane flow, then add a bit of Oxy. I can step it back and forth a few times until the flame goes out. Again, I knew this would happen... Should have ordered the new torch sooner.

I ordered a J-28 with TEN 2 and 3 tips and the UN-J mixer. The new torch/tips and a smith kevlar hose will hopefully arrive within a week or two.

mtbr member
    Nice. Please update once you get the new equipment. I'm starting to get some together and was originally going to go with an o/a setup, but this is intriguing.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've recently got the same Oxy generator and finished the rest of my setup (regulator, flashback, hoses etc).

I've not had much time to experiment yet, so currently having the usual fun getting a flame I'm happy with.

I've got what is probably one of the most common torches in the UK (Murex / BOC Saffire 3). I've been in touch with Murex and there are no specific propane tips or mixer. Just got the usual advice to increase tip size compared to what I'd run with acetylene (which I'd already done).

I've tried countersinking the tip but not found major improvements in lighting / flame lifting off the end of the tip. Can anyone advise on what size countersink helps? Otherwise I just need to find some time this weekend and persevere I guess.

builder of frames
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mickuk View Post
    Can anyone advise on what size countersink helps? Otherwise I just need to find some time this weekend and persevere I guess.
    The rule of thumb for the countersink is about twice the diameter of the orifice. I just measured my Victor TEN tips. The countersink on the #2 is .075", #3 is .083" and #4 is .093". The depth is about 1mm.

In Ukraine I braze with propane using a standard Smith AW207 tip (it is not countersunk) and it works just fine (although my Victor countersunk tips are easier to light and adjust).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm using a Harris 25GX-50 specifically for propane. It's been great so far.