Thread: Kids BMX parts

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Kids BMX parts

I'm new to frame building, and new to fatherhood, and I'm trying to tie the two together. I'd like to build my boy a small BMX bike, but am having trouble finding parts (and geometry, for that matter). Does anyone know of a source for short cranks, small wheels or rims (16", maybe even 12"?), and any/all other parts in kid size? Thanks in advance,

Forrest

Framebuilder
    Google "mini" and "micro" BMX, there's a big part of the industry that caters to these little bikes....they aren't cheap though!

Old school BMXer
    How old is your son?
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For short cranks have a look here - http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-comp...ranks-for-kids. A google or fleabay search for Sinz should give you some options from 125mm crank length and upwards.

mtbr member
    First, are you going to build a freestyle or race frame?

I know quite a bit about BMX bikes in general so feel free to PM me with questions because I love answering them!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the information and resources. I found plenty of examples of micro and mini BMX bikes complete with geometry. I haven't found 16" wheels yet, but they must be out there. My boy is barely walking, so I'm looking ahead. The crank info page is great. And without having thought it out, I'd learn towards race geometry - do you have a suggestion? Thanks again,

Forrest

Old school BMXer
    I've seen kids as young as 2 - yes 2 - at nationals racing on 18" wheeled bikes. Many 3 and 4 year olds are on 20" bikes, and by about late age 4, most all of the serious racers are on 20" bikes. Yeah, there are 16" bikes on the market, but none that are built for racing. The 20" bikes the 4 year olds are racing weigh significantly less than any production 16" bike. So what I'm saying is that you really won't find a 16" race bike.

Hang out and read some threads over at www.vintagebmx.com, and go to the "BMX Racing" forum.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    I have an almost 2-year-old for whom I've thought about building a bike. However, I've come to the conclusion that the most efficient (well, cheapest) way to get a set of parts for one of these bikes would be to buy a bike and strip the frame. Don't think the frame would have any resale value. Finding this option somewhat depressing (and somewhat because I got a decent deal), I purchased a Strider for him.

Which brings up another point: you may look at either making a push bike first, or making a bike that can be converted from a push bike to a pedal bike. The only difference, I suppose would be having the seat low enough. Maybe swap from 12 to 16" wheels.

BTW, the Strider, with 12" wheels, is the only push bike I know of with a low enough seat for my kid to stand over. He was doing some laps around an REI on a Raleigh that seemed of much higher quality than the Strider (real headset, pneumatic tires, welds that didn't look like they were done by a stick welder), but the seat would not lower enough for him. He still had fun standing in front of the seat.

Blaster, when you say 3 year olds are on 20" race bikes, are you referring to bikes with 1" sew-up tires? If so, that's equivalent to an 18" wheel with a 2" tire. It probably doesn't make that much a difference, but since I have little interest in my kid getting the NBL #1 plate (well maybe not quite yet ;-D ), I'd rather have bigger, more durable and serviceable tires for him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes
    I have an almost 2-year-old for whom I've thought about building a bike. However, I've come to the conclusion that the most efficient (well, cheapest) way to get a set of parts for one of these bikes would be to buy a bike and strip the frame. Don't think the frame would have any resale value. Finding this option somewhat depressing (and somewhat because I got a decent deal), I purchased a Strider for him.

Which brings up another point: you may look at either making a push bike first, or making a bike that can be converted from a push bike to a pedal bike. The only difference, I suppose would be having the seat low enough. Maybe swap from 12 to 16" wheels.

BTW, the Strider, with 12" wheels, is the only push bike I know of with a low enough seat for my kid to stand over. He was doing some laps around an REI on a Raleigh that seemed of much higher quality than the Strider (real headset, pneumatic tires, welds that didn't look like they were done by a stick welder), but the seat would not lower enough for him. He still had fun standing in front of the seat.

Blaster, when you say 3 year olds are on 20" race bikes, are you referring to bikes with 1" sew-up tires? If so, that's equivalent to an 18" wheel with a 2" tire. It probably doesn't make that much a difference, but since I have little interest in my kid getting the NBL #1 plate (well maybe not quite yet ;-D ), I'd rather have bigger, more durable and serviceable tires for him.
    You should be able to cut down the seatpost on the Raleigh and get another 1.5" to 2" lower.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for all the info; I'm starting to think I should skip building him a little BMX, and build him something later instead. I couldn't buy all the parts/tubing for what I could buy a whole bike for. (I wrote this before I read Feldybikes post; great minds...) I'll try and learn some more over at vintage bmx.

The Intense looks like a trick little bike (http://www.intensebmx.com/IBMX10/rac...BK0RMN-1.html), and I found a Redline 16" that looks pretty cool, too (http://www.redlinebicycles.com/archi...-proline-mini).

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    The Redline Pitboss is probably the best 16" bike on the market and light too. http://www.redlinebicycles.com/archi...roline-pitboss