mtbr member

Just in time for winter...snow bike content

This snow bike is number seven, my first aluminum. I've been trying to mix it up, two lugged, two brazed, two tigged steel, and now an aluminum.

I thought oversized aluminum would be perfect for a snow bike so when it is wandering around in loose snow the stiffness might help? I'm making this up because I've never ridden a snow bike before. It has a giant 51mm down tube and weighs in at 3lbs 12oz.

I have a bunch of sweet blue anodized components on order so hopefully it will be rolling next week some time. It is built for 4mm of clearance with a Lou and Clown Shoe (100mm rim with a 4.8 tire). But I don't trust my skills so I bought a Darryl (82mm rim).

Without the money to actually build up or store seven bikes I give the frames away to friends who can (to be fair, I did keep and do ride one of them). The friend who gets this one has an XX1 drive train for it which makes things nice. Race Face makes 100mm bb crank that I plan on putting a 30 tooth single ring in the 'big ring' position for a 71mm chain line. The rear end is 170mm drop out spacing with a 5mm offset. And the sticker kit is my usual electrical tape/xacto knife time killer.

Couldn't have done this project without Doug B's or Mackey's help and shop. Thanks fellas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just in time for winter...snow bike content-img_4045.jpg  

Just in time for winter...snow bike content-img_4046.jpg  

Just in time for winter...snow bike content-img_4051.jpg  

There is nothing more difficult to plan or more dangerous to manage than the establishment of a new order of things.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Sticks View Post
    I thought oversized aluminum would be perfect for a snow bike so when it is wandering around in loose snow the stiffness might help? I'm making this up because I've never ridden a snow bike before. It has a giant 51mm down tube and weighs in at 3lbs 12oz.
    I think I'm qualified enough to comment on this, and hey, bonus points for your honesty, a virtue IMO.

1) I've ridden snow bikes for a few years, in snow of various types (Saint Paul-ite)
    2) I've made some bamboo-carbon snow bikes of various quality. The one I had the most time on had a severely anemic down tube, and a resin-rich head tube, and so had the most flexible front triangle of any bike I've ridden, period.

When riding on actual loose snow? Doesn't make a crap of difference. Seriously, you will be sitting down planted on your ass (get a Thudbuster!) and making so many steering corrections when you're in marginal conditions where the tire can barely manage, the front triangle twisting will be the last thing on your mind. Things are a bit different when you can make your *front* tire skid in a straight line on command.

During the summer, if you run those tires, you will find the reckless grip, extra inertia, and ability to stand up *do* bring out the relative stiffness qualities of a frame.

Anyway. Have fun learning about snow biking. Some of your bike skills will translate, and you'll pick up new ones, some of which will translate back to your summer riding (don't plant your foot until you are really falling over!). Nice work on the frame, and I like the graphics, handsome without being flashy.
    Latitude: 44.93 N