mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Jig dropout axle - Maybe a cheaper alternative

My new jig setup use a piece of 10mm threaded rod to act as the rear axle. However there is far to much flex in it and it also does not hold the dropouts in sequence, which is a pain and needs lots of checking. Because of this just built a frame where the rear end was out but luckily noticed this after tacking.

Looking for a new alternative and came across this:

Jig dropout axle - Maybe a cheaper alternative-screen-shot-2014-01-30-11.49.51.png

Sun Ringle Axle Kit - Abbah Front 2013 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Its an axle for a Sun Ringle front hub. It looks perfect for the job if only it was 135mm wide. It has the flats to keep the dropouts in sequence and looks pretty sturdy. Unfortunately it looks like the rear version doesn't have the flats.

So what are other people using or can you find a rear axle that looks the same as this. I know I can buy Anvil ones but with shipping to the UK it gets really expensive.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Anyone with a mill can make one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jig dropout axle - Maybe a cheaper alternative-mydummyaxlefixture1.jpg  

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anvil (Anvil Bikeworks: Professional tools for the professional bike builder) makes dummy axles to pretty much any length, with heat-induced spring-back already accounted for. Worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alex Meade seems to makes some at a pretty good price Purchase Tools
    Guillaume

Cycles Golem

The cat's name is jake
    Woody,

If you don't have access to a lathe or a milling machine, and costs to ship from the U.S. are high, consider talking to a machine shop, or perhaps even a hobby machinist in your area. I was under the impression (possibly false one) that the UK had a pretty healthy model engineer society, and one of them might enjoy helping you out for some pocket money. It still might be too expensive - I'm not sure what your shipping rates are, or what machining costs are over there.

Axles with built in indexing D's can be nice in some ways, especially for keeping dropouts in phase. However, they also can have drawbacks. In some cases, the dropouts will rock and pivot NOT concentrically when fitting up the chainstays, and you end up with alignment issues. I fight this on a daily basis at work. The solution here is to use well fitting axles that do not have indexing D's, but rather are just 10.0mm bosses. These keep the dropouts pivoting concentrically with the axle when minor adjustments are made. Some might think this is a bit of a silly, overly persnickety worry, but it can make a real difference to alignment, when you are trying to get the last couple of millimeters of wheel/seatstay/chainstay alignment dialed. Of course, if you don't have a method for indexing the left and right dropouts, then the axles with D's still might be the best solution. Just something for thought.

You might be able to use sight lines scribed on a block to help with indexing the dropouts, and then use an axle with round dropout bosses. You might even be able to fabricate the axle, assuming you could find tube stock with an I.D. that would allow slipping in some 10mm tube stock, which could serve as the dropout boss. Again, I'm not sure what standard tube stock sizes are in UK - I'm just trying to brainstorm.

Edit: You weren't kidding about the postage rates - I just looked up USPS and UPS rates to the UK, and cheapest I saw was ~$45! Wow.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hi BungedUP

Thanks for the info. I used a Sputnik jig a while ago with indexing D's and I can remember the problem you mentioned. Unless the dropouts fit the D's perfectly then you still get movement back and forth. I can get a machine shop to make some axles for me but I was just looking for off the shelf alternatives as the front axle I saw was around 10 as apposed to say 60 if I get one machined. Also I can have it next day as apposed to a few weeks. I have ordered a few axle options as they might be good blanks for the machine shop to start off with. Might save them a chunk of time and therefore money. If not I can always send them back.

Getting into frame building is quite an expensive setup if you are just doing it for a hobby / bit on the side so like to look to see if there are ways to save a few dollars!!

However I have also learnt that great tools don't half make life easier and quicker