mtbr member

I need a recipe...

hey guys, i've been reading this forum for a while. While 93% is over my head, i still need an 'easy' answer.

I'm having a local reputable frame builder make me a frame. I'm not saying who, but it is in the pacific northwest and close enough to me i can make a trip out of it for a fitting and pickup, etc.

He says he uses mostly 4130 because feels lots of other tubes are hype. I've riden his bikes and like them. But he also said " will use whatever you want." Uhm, i don't know what i want!

I'm 6'1", 165 lbs, riding a 2-niner SS with sliding paragon dropouts and rigid fork (white bros?).

I need a nimble and supple bike that will be for racing (endurance) and of-course training...

Can someone direct me to tubes to look at or consider? I know some shops like Walt and IF mix-and-match, but I'm a chemist, not a metallurgist.. I'm seeking guidance.

thanks for the help. The builder already has my deposit (about the same $ as my mortage...) and is ordering stuff next week.

Thanks
    Matt

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is he meaning straight gauge 4130 that isn't sold specifically as bike tubes? Need to know that first off...b/c some 'bike tubes' are 4130.. semantics.

But regardless, TrueTempers stuff is very fine... the best bikes in the world can be made from it.

Also, some main tubes are mixnmatch b/c a given tubes isn't available.. for example a long niner downtube, so a different tube is substituted. I wouldn't get hung up on a 'recipe' per se.

At your relatively light weight and build, I would for sure want butted tubes as opposed to a straight gauge 4130 tubeset, but if the guy builds you a kicka$$ frame, it will be so regardless, maybe just a bit heavier. If your getting a jump bike or whatever, nevermind what I just said.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    i dunno! Its now on my "to ask" list. Thanks.

**hmmm, what else should i be asking**?? this guy knows his stufff, but its still a lot of $,$$$!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Let the builder decide

There is plenty of hype with various tubesets. But there are actual differences, as well. The fancier tubes (ie, 853, OX Platinum, Spirit, etc) will be lighter. They will also be a bit harder to work with, but that's not your concern.

I don't feel that any one company makes a *complete* tubeset that I think is ideal, so I mix and match a bunch to get what I want. Then again, I probably have $20k worth of tubes sitting around so that I *can* do that easily, so it's not necessarily what everyone does.

I guess the bottom line is that you should trust your builder's judgement, but be aware that if you're concerned about the weight of the frame, his "hype" statement isn't really true. If an extra few ounces (or maybe up to half pound or so) of frame material doesn't bother you then have him go to town with whatever he wants. If that's going to bug you, then have him use nicer/lighter tubes.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by drMP
    hey guys, i've been reading this forum for a while. While 93% is over my head, i still need an 'easy' answer.

I'm having a local reputable frame builder make me a frame. I'm not saying who, but it is in the pacific northwest and close enough to me i can make a trip out of it for a fitting and pickup, etc.

He says he uses mostly 4130 because feels lots of other tubes are hype. I've riden his bikes and like them. But he also said " will use whatever you want." Uhm, i don't know what i want!

I'm 6'1", 165 lbs, riding a 2-niner SS with sliding paragon dropouts and rigid fork (white bros?).

I need a nimble and supple bike that will be for racing (endurance) and of-course training...

Can someone direct me to tubes to look at or consider? I know some shops like Walt and IF mix-and-match, but I'm a chemist, not a metallurgist.. I'm seeking guidance.

thanks for the help. The builder already has my deposit (about the same $ as my mortage...) and is ordering stuff next week.

Thanks
    Matt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    yep. "trust your mechanic". good words. thanks for the grounding. I'll stick with color and # of braze-ons, etc.

also, Walt, thanks for the FAQ and john henry tech info link.

cheers
    drMP