mtbr member
    Jun 2006

I change my mind about galvanizing.

I have several photos of telephone wires pulled apart by automobiles. One of the had a 2mm galvanized wire used to strengthen the bundle. I decided to take a sample and was surprised how easy it broke about 20 inch pounds. I thought of having a frame dipped this would have made fillets on the inside of the tubes and a very hard exterior. Now I believe it would make it weaker than the chrome Paramounts Schwinn made. DSC03337 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    "Dish is illogical." Spoke of Vulcan.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    galvanizing is also heavy, hideous, expensive, and can warp steel from the heat. on top of that, you have to drill drain holes everywhere on hollow materials so it doesn't create a bomb when they dip it. reaming would be a biatch too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You could just zinc plate. Eastwood sells a kit to do small parts. I use it all the time. Never did anything as large as a frame would be interesting to do one.

Tim

mtbr member
    Ceramic and some frame saver for the inner tubes is definitely a better option than galvanizing a frame. The protective properties of ceramic are superior against corrosion than all other finishes available. if that's what your looking for in a finish. Can be applied to, Fe, Al, Ti, Mg, and C/fiber.