I need skills
    Jul 2004

How to carry a 26 pound leaf blower?

Hi all,
    I have been pondering how to carry a 26 pound back pack leaf blower on my bike AND have it be functional. The blower needs to "blow" forwards and be aimed with the bike's fork.

Seeing the Moots brand trail builders bike got me wondering about this forum.

The options and problems to overcome as I see them. All of them would require some creative mounting and routing solutions.

Mount the blower on a front rack vs How would the bike handle? Aiming the blower would be easy.

Carry the blower on the back vs how to aim the blower and route the blow tube past the front tire. (flexible tubing?). I keep thinking this would be the best option for bike handling and not shaking the blower apart.

Carry the blower on top of a rear rack vs top heavy, routing and aiming.

Carry the blower on a type of pannier mount vs routing and aiming.

Because of the weight, I am wondering if a fat bike would offer the best protection from jarring to the blower.

I would love to see some sketches, ideas, feedback. Not sure what i will do with feedback, but I believe this forum could provide solutions.

thanks in advance.
    Charlie

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think you could find a cheap wire basket for the front that you can cut, bed and zipstrip a the blower tube too (hard plastic or some PVC pipe). Could also use a set of aero-bars from a road bike. This should just be able to mount to your handlebar, so you can remove it easily for next year. I'd mount the leaf blower on a panier rack and run some tubing (shop-vac/dry-vac hose) under the seat, along the top tube, and up to the blower. Have to remember to loop the tube out the front of the bike and back to the blower tube otherwise it will kink when you turn the wheel.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    so you are making a street sweeper bike? That actually wouldn't be a bad idea around here

Who turned out the lights
    How about you just skip riding for one day and spend it leaf blowing so that you get the job done the right way, instead of turning a job that's really not that bad into a miserable ride?

I know I'm sounding a little bit like a dick here, but as a guy who's spent his time with a blower on his back, I would much prefer to leaf blow at a hiking pace than to try to slow my ride down enought to actually attempt this. There are way too many times that you need to be able to lift the end of the blow tube to pull leaves up out of drainage crossings, etc. and "guide" them downhill of the trail to be able to do this effectively on a bike. It would also potentially be pretty dangerous, as in you could catch the end of the hose on a steep upgrade and wreck yourself. I would much rather turn it into a hiking day with my headphones and ear muffs on

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Some ideas that comes to my mind....

The JET Bicycle - The most dangerous unsafe bike EVER - YouTube

JET Powered SNOW BLOWER homemade - YouTube

.... I know I am just being silly...

Fooly

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Efficiency. Have 26 miles to clear. Right now 4 of us set up shuttles and we all have to be available the same day.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dacosta View Post
    Some ideas that comes to my mind....

The JET Bicycle - The most dangerous unsafe bike EVER - YouTube

JET Powered SNOW BLOWER homemade - YouTube

.... I know I am just being silly...

Fooly
    Fooly, is that guy still alive?

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    This is a bad idea just having walked miles of trail with a leaf blower to get the leaves off the trail. You can't even walk at a walking pace to make this work well much less a riding pace. Rigging up a special bike to do this is a waste of time IMHO.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    You must be using a whimpy blower. We can't keep up with the Stihl BR600. Air velocity is 200 mph. We can clear leaves as fast was we can move. We've tried it, (walk jog run cart). A person can do landscaping with that blower.

FKA Malibu412
    Probably not a problem with a lighter layer of leaves but it won't work well with a heavy, wet layer.

26 miles? That's only a little over 6 miles per person. I've worn a Stihl backpack for 4-5 miles with some heavy, wet leaves and it only took about 3 hours.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    It sure would be nice if one person could do it faster than that.

FKA Malibu412
    Post video when you figure it out. I'm interested.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member

How to carry a 26 pound leaf blower?

http://s174.photobucket.com/user/tim...adc23.jpg.html
    Not my creation but it looks like a good idea!

A_A
    mtbr member
    On your back...

This video shows that you can ride and clear the trails while wearing a backpack blower.

I Blew It - YouTube

I'm assuming that on steep up and down sections you need to get off and walk

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Anything permanently mounted will only work under ideal conditions on very non technical terrain. It may work to varying degrees overall, but my sense is it would turn out to be marginal, and then you'd need to walk the same mileage to clean up a whole bunch of isolated spots. Been using my BR400 for many years. Nothing beats it. It will generally clear as fast as I can walk, seppin for all the detail work, and there's plenty of that.
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 11-17-2013 at 02:22 PM.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Who turned out the lights
    Personally, if you're going to insist on doing it while riding, the two methods posted (in a trailer, blowing backwards or on your back) are the best.

Locally, we tend to prefer to do it while walking so that we can go 10' up and down hilll on drainage crossings, etc. to ensure that they drain out well over the winter and into the spring and don't get clogged up with leaf matter and keep the crossing wet, etc. There area also a number of places where we need to spend extra time pushing large buildups farther downhill so that the trail continues to drain properly. I realize it's a lot of time, and can be a pain in the ass, but I would simply try to recruite more people. I tend to average about 1 mile/hour doing a really thorough job. I use a Husky, which is pretty powerful, but not as much as the new Stihl BR600 blowers.

It just seems to me like trying to blow on a bike is a good way to wreck and spend the rest of your winter sitting on your ass instead of putting in good base mileage.

tiny rider
    How about a trike? You can go slow if needed, but cover miles when conditions warrant.