Thread: Hey Fatso!

Belltown Brazer

Hey Fatso!

So I impulse-bought some fat bike wheels, tires and fork used here on mtbr. Thought it would be neat to try one of those sand/snow bikes. The fabrication was interesting, because the rear hub is offset 18mm towards the driveside...and all my fixturing is set up to build symmetrical. I also wanted to try the new Paragon 44mm head tube. I usually go 1" on my mtb TTs and thought that such a small tube would look funny with the huge head tube...so I went with this twin TT version. I'll see how that works out.

Cheers!

B
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hey Fatso!-fatso1.jpg  

Hey Fatso!-fatso4.jpg  

Hey Fatso!-fatso5.jpg  

Hey Fatso!-fatso6.jpg  

Hey Fatso!-fatso3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Woah!

Hey OBD has a regular Pugsley fork too in case you wanted to go with that vs the offset jobber there.

You are killin it B!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Very Cool!

Very cool. I like the seat stay set up. The bending must have been difficult with the offset. It looks like the ends of the seat stays could lend themselves nicely as attachment points for a custom rear rack. see attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gabe.....
    NICE.....One of a kind for sure! So you went for a non-slotted disk brake tab with horizontal drops? Interesting......
    "Roll your own..........." http://smokebikes.com/

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Kickass

Any thoughts on the Paragon head tube? This is the first frame I've seen with one.

Also, just out of curiosity, why did you use a big head tube when you'll be running a 1 1/8 fork? Got some other plans for the future, or just wanted the bearings inside the frame?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

I really like the brake mount!

I really like how you did the rear disk brake mount. It looks like you are using a standard brake mount on the chainstay rather then the seat stay rather then one of the special "integrated" chainstay brake mount dropouts.

Belltown Brazer
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt
    Any thoughts on the Paragon head tube? This is the first frame I've seen with one.

Also, just out of curiosity, why did you use a big head tube when you'll be running a 1 1/8 fork? Got some other plans for the future, or just wanted the bearings inside the frame?

-Walt
    Walt, I liked the paragon HT. It seems thick and heavy, but probably close to the same weight as a SG 37 mm tube. The hourglass shape is pleasing. One could put some seriously large DT on there and it would look fine. There is a noticable machined finish on the outside...I'll be interested in seeing how that comes through powdercoat. Of course, I had to buy another $105 reamer to use it.

I really have no need for it on this bike, as you said. But I wanted to see how it worked. I want to see how that twin TT rides. I'll just put a zero stack headset in there. I'd like to use this HT for my next mtb for me. I'm a shortie, so the zero stack HS buys a valuable 20mm or so. Or, I could go tapered fork and still pick up 10mm or so.

B