mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Headtube reducers

Hello frame builders. I have a question that I feel you builders will be able to answer. I recently picked up an Aluminum frame that has a massive (49/62mm) head tube. There aren't a plethora of manufacturers making headsets in this size. I can only find two... FSA and works components. Strangely, the latter only offers an angleset.

My frame came with FSA cups already installed, but no guts. The manufacturer (Turner) informed me that I can run cane creek bearings in the cups so I'm good so far as getting the frame up and running.

I have a king headset (i2: 44/56mm) that I would love to use so I started thinking about getting some reducers made up. As the headtube is only reamed so deep, these reducers could be a simple cylinder (no flange required). Then it occurred to me that I can have the existing ZS headset cups turned and I could use them as reducers.

My question for you all is what kinds of potential problems this sort of installation might raise. The frame is made of 6000 series aluminum. Not sure of the FSA or King cups. Would it make sense to use loctite (or similar) between the frame/FSA cups? Is this a silly idea?

TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no batteries required
    It really sounds like a low yield solution given the potential problems especially since there is an off the shelf headset available. If I were to do something like this I would look into epoxy to secure the reducers. Machining costs could put this into the not desirable category pretty quickly.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    It really sounds like a low yield solution given the potential problems especially since there is an off the shelf headset available. If I were to do something like this I would look into epoxy to secure the reducers. Machining costs could put this into the not desirable category pretty quickly.
    I'm definitely leaning toward just putting some cane creek bearings into the existing cups, but figured I'd think through some alternatives.

High cost isn't something I considered. Especially in regards to modifying the FSA cups. I thought that they'd be able to be turned down to somewhere near the right size and then reamed (while installed on the frame) to the exact size. Are these crazy thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk