mtbr member

Hardinge horizontal

Saw this on CG and had to share. Wish I was able to pick it up. Not sure how many of you are in the CA area but this looks to be in great condition.
    http://goldcountry.craigslist.org/tls/4349967118.html

Nemophilist
    Puh....

Always hate to see those fleebay rattle can jobs. At least go to the trouble to not paint the pallet - or floor - it is sitting on. I mean, how gauche. Immediate red flag to me. New spindle and bearings? The latter is another red flag, depending. Priced Class 7 bearings lately? Well, I certainly assume a Hardinge has bearings of that stature. LOTS of people cheap out and go for generics. Aint I a buzzkill?

Not much - if anything - beats a Hardinge, but you better hope it doesn't need parts!!!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member

Hardinge horizontal

Yeah good points TM, I noticed that new paint too... BUT it's incredibly rare to find a good horizontal in Northern CA let alone a Hardinge! I've been looking for a few years.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That would make an awfully fine main tube mitering setup. Or even set up with 2 operations one on each end of the table. I'm grateful to Sam from St. Louis who sold me 2 Nichols after he traillered several of them all the way from Kansas. Very adaptable to bicycle manufacturing.
    cheers
    andy walker

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Anybody that is a serious purveyor or purchaser of much of anything knows that the best state to see it in is how it was. Clean the gunk off, maybe, but leave it alone. No stories, and it is what it is. Anytime I see a splash & dash paint job I think A) how well was it done?, and B) what's he hiding? A cheeseball paint job like that is done for the sale - which is the wrong reason - and will be gone like a fart in the wind and look worse in the end. Smart machine people only care about how it works. Making it look nice is optional. I'll stop squawking now and put my money where my mouth is!

1 year ago.

Yesterday!

-
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

The cat's name is jake
    John,

I think your points are accurate, and something worth keeping in mind universally for people looking at machine tools.

Furthermore, your refurb/repaint is just a joy to look at!

-Peter