Thread: Graeme Obree

Stokeless Asshat
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims 80's vintage 32 or 36
    Salsa or similar stem. 1" threadless. 120 with rise.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that post Jeff, I really enjoyed that. I had actually seen the last few minutes of the video on telly a while ago, and was meant to find the rest, but never got round to it. The interview below the video is great too. He really is inspiring.

mtbr member
    I could easily sit down and have coffee with Graeme. I think we would find all was well in the cycle world.........

While I have not used the kitchen table yet, I have used his simple but determined approach to problem solving and challenging conventions, even to using MAP torches and silver braze rods. A life where construction is a process to a higher goal.

Inspiring at the least, got to give him his due's, respect and admiration forthcoming.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Malcolm View Post
    I think we would find all was well in the cycle world.........
    really? Have you read his autobiography? The guy did the hardest thing in cycling (world hour record), twice on homemade bikes, then attempted suicide [in part] because he was driven out of pro cycling for being unconventional, and insisting that doping was in fact real (which in 1993 wasn't commonly admitted).

You think he would say all was ok in cycling world?

In my mind, he's already the greatest living cyclist. Respect and admiration are already there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    because he was driven out of pro cycling for being unconventional, and insisting that doping was in fact real (which in 1993 wasn't commonly admitted)
    His real crime was making the big boys look bad.
    For all that marketing and investment, they were getting twanked by a guy who built his bike in the kitchen out of some old washing machines.

Which is a shame, we need more Obree's in cycling, not less.

mtbr member
    Joules, I am sorry to upset you. I identify very much with Graeme and my comment I think may not be clear to you. In my meaning, I refer to exactly what you are defending. We have seen recently the exposure of doping etc. The UCI restrictions on Frame/Bike building ride positions etc are stifling development, he is not alone in over-coming personal persecution for being left-field.

My comment is more of the YEAH-Right variety, perhaps that was a little dark.

Hope that clarifies my position to you. I am already in Graeme's camp in that sense.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?