Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: gas lense kits

mtbr member

gas lense kits

Long time listener, first time caller. I've been lurking for a couple years lusting after my first frame build. Things are finally coming together know that I've finally found a good deal on a used tig. It's been 10 years since I've held a torch, but most of my experience, which wasn't a whole lot, was with aluminum.

First build is going to be a 20" for my 4 year old. I'll be back shortly to get some criticism on the geometry I'm looking at.

Currently making a shopping list for welding supplies. Tig is a Lincoln square wave 175 and it came with a Wedlingcraft 9v torch. I've been looking at gas lense kits and I'm not sure what to go with. Also not sure what size shield I need.

Is this ebay kit risky?
    Gas Lens Cup Collet Accessory Kit 0 040" 1 8" for TIG Torch 9 20 and 25 Series | eBay

I also need filler rod and tungsten. Looks like 1/16" is the way to go on both.

Planning to buy some tubing from Mcmaster to practice coping and welding in the meantime while I'm finishing up the details on geometry and what little fixturing I'm going to start with. I'm planning to build it out of straight wall .035. I've seen a few suggestions on practicing with .049 or thicker before going down to .035. Since I already have some tig experience, should I skip the thicker wall practice?

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    Verify that the torch is a 9v, those machines shipped with 17's. If you plan on welding heavy aluminum, you will want a 17 torch. If you want one torch, you can put together a "baby" 17 with a stubby kit. See here.

If you plan on just doing light aluminum, get a number 9 torch without the valve. The valve is not needed on that machine, and will just get in the way.

DO NOT BUY CHINESE GAS LENSES!!!!!!

You will not have good luck with them. Get weld-craft, ck, etc.

Filler rod and tungstens. I use 1/16 or 3/32 tungstens for everything. 1/16 for up to 125 amps, and 3/32 for up to 200. Occasionally on dirty aluminum I need a 1/8" tungsten because of the AC balance.

Filler rod for frames, I use .045 100% of the time. A lot of people use .035. 1/16" filler rod is nearly impossible to use on frames

Also, sending you a private message.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help man. It is indeed an 9v torch, flex head, and gas valve. Replied to your pm before I saw your response. Any recommendations on good online stores to get gas lenses from? I was a little worried about china crap on ebay. Prices too good to be true.

I don't plan on doing any Al frames. Purely cromo for now. I've got regular collet bodies if I ever need to do Al.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    I'm working you up a parts list now.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    You'd need the following for a #9 torch.

Weldcraft 45V43 Gas Lens, 1/16" (1.6mm)
    Weldcraft 53N61S Nozzle, Alumina, GL, #8 (1/2")
    Weldcraft 13N22 Collet, 1/16" (1.6mm)

Weldfabulous, cyberweld, bakers will all have that stuff. Your local welding shops should too.

mtbr member
    Wow, thanks man! Greatly appreciated. I've been doing a TON of reading here over the last couple of weeks. Really cool how helpful everyone is, and its awesome to see pros frequenting.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    Now if I can just get my local air gas to get the correct #12 cup that I need in I will be doing well.

mtbr member
    Would I be crazy to buy 10lbs of filler? How much will you use on a frame? Roughly

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    10 pounds is a lot of filler. 150-200 frames worth.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Most welding shops will sell you a pound of ER70s for $5 or something. That's plenty for both a lot of practice and your first frame and it'll work great with 4130.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Would it be worth it to get some .049 to practice on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Absolutely get some .049
    Order Alloy Steel 4130 Tube in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com
    BARGAIN BAG 4130 TUBING from Aircraft Spruce

the spruce kit is a good bargain but will have thick stuff you wont use for a while probably
    cheers
    andy walker

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Remember!

On an actual bike, you are basically never going to be welding .035 to .035, even if you're using that wall thickness for all the main tubes, since most of your joints will be to the head tube (not going to be .035 if you're tig welding in most cases), BB (much thicker), and seat cluster (thicker as well). Dropouts are of course *much* thicker and you may or may not be tig welding them anyway.

So the joints you want to practice are actually thin mitered/coped tube to thicker/larger to imitate what you'll really be doing. That's not to say it's not useful to just weld together any old tubes you can find, of course. Practice is always going to be good.

I always have boxes of scrap (actual bike tubes bits and sometimes longer screwups) available to anyone who wants them for the price of postage plus a small beer donation if you're feeling generous! If you can find someone local to you they will most likely be happy to have you take scrap off their hands too.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by ktm520 View Post
    Would it be worth it to get some .049 to practice on?
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Plays with tools
    3/32 tungsten is a do-all. DC amps are great from 20-200 depending on alloy. AC is another story. I really like the smaller filler though .035 for frames is pretty hard to beat. Unless you like to wash over it like a rookie.

mtbr member
    Got everything rounded up except for filler, and my luck, no one in town has any in stock smaller than 1/16. Really anxious to start practicing. Would using ER70S6 mig wire be good enough to practice with?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    .045 70s6 mig wire straightened out will work for practice. I ordered 1 lb of .045 880t from sutton garden last week for practice.

mtbr member
    What a humbling experience. I've got a lot of practice to do. This thin wall stuff is a hole new world. The first couple of tubes I grabbed out of Walt's box-o-scrap were .025 and I didn't realize it. A few burn holes followed by mostly frustration. Grabbed a piece of .035, cranked the amps down a little (still had them up for 1/8" plate pracitce), and finally layed down this upper weld. Didn't clean this well at all. Far from perfect, but it felt good after burning the crap out of the first two copes. I just layed beads on 1/8" plate last night, some more today, and this was my last couple of hours of practice. More after dinner and kids in bed. I love this stuff. Been too long.
    gas lense kits-cam00234.jpg

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    Settings/Filler spec/etc etc etc

mtbr member
    50A (could still back off this)
    15 cfh
    035 ER70s6 mig wire (s2 is on the way)
    no pulse (Lincoln 175 square wave)
    1/16 2% lanthinated, 3/8" extended
    gas lense

I tried 045 filler (mig wire) and didn't have as good of luck, probably technique. I was really struggling to properly feed the filler. Color on some of tacks looked good, but most of my welds were too hot being dark blue to shinny gray most of the time. At least that's my rookie analysis.
    #8 cup

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Good on you to try no pulse at first.
    What peak time and background percentage are you using?
    cheers
    andy walker

mtbr member
    No clue . . . my machine has current, polarity, and an on/off switch.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Nice work! Two things. Are you using a cheater lens or reading glasses? I use a +2.00. Huge help for me. Also, are you propping your torch hand in a way so you are comfortable?

I'm running the same machine. Love it.

mtbr member
    No, I'd like to try a cheater lense. I did have my hand propped, but was a little shaky after 3+ hrs of practice.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Grab some cheap reading glasses at the grocery store or pharmacy. Made a world of difference for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Looked that machine up, never mind about those settings
    You're welds look better than my first ones! Just keep practicing.
    cheers
    andy walker

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast