Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 78
  1. #1
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600

    G-reg Build Thread

    I started updating a few of my threads and decided to be lazy and consolidate further projects into a single thread.

    Previous threads:
    #1 "The North Fargo" (Retired)
    #2 "Numberrr Two" (Retired, but functional)
    #3 "650Brunette" (Retired, out of spite)
    #4 "Husky" (Active)
    #5 "Knardgo" (Active)
    #6 "650B.A." (Retired)
    #7 "Vino" (Active)
    #8 "Boxus" (Active)
    #9 "Wentzmuter" (Active)
    #10 36er (In the Jig)

    Future builds / queue
    Fat Bike for 4yo (soon to buy things from Webcyclery, and Magura)
    "650B.A 2" (new XC bike for O'14)
    "Roadster" (road bike with discs, tapered carpetfibre fork,)
    "Grouch Cross" (cross bike with lugs, tubs, Paul racers, stainless things?....)

    And to get things kicked off:

    I thought there was a BikeCad print of #8, either it ran away or I forgot it. But here it is again/at all. Low bb, short stays/front center/fork/HT for a nimble fun bike with big wheels.



    Built #8 up for a 12hr race (I was on a 4 person team) with the M985 XTR crank for it's 40t big ring. And found that the M985 has a narrower Qfactor than the SS M960 they replaced. Even with barely 1mm clearance between the crank arms and chain stays there was not enough flex from the Paragon yoke and 7/8in stays for any metal on metal contact even when "giving it everything."



    #7 was ridden to 110 solo miles during that same 12hr race. The owner of #12 then ran *only* 31 miles on the following day on the same course as a part of an ultimate-badass endurance series.





    I took a lap on #4 just for the fun of it. No pics of me on #8, but I managed the fastest lap on it.




    More #8 pics
    Last edited by G-reg; 09-15-2014 at 01:35 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesauvageau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,048
    Bad Ass G-reg!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    2,054
    Open the queue, I'd like dibs on #25. It's my lucky number. Also, I want to make a frame bag for the dude's little fat bike!
    Last edited by JAGI410; 12-12-2013 at 09:00 PM.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

  4. #4
    WIGGLER
    Reputation: todwil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    902
    G-reg can you tell my gal pal it's ok to have a lot of bikes? Great cross section of
    Twowheelers!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

    MR. 36er TROLL


  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    104
    Cool ! The first few frames are so much fun for sure !

  6. #6
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Merry Christmas to Me:

    Phil BB wrenches, Abby Crombie/Whip, Paragon paraphernalia



    Walt Works 36er fork!



    New Direct Mount hanger for the Fatty



    Temps got close to above freezing for a few days so the snow got a bit sticky.



    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  7. #7
    650b me
    Reputation: golden boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,347
    How do you like the Middleburn crank? Is it square-taper, or the new external bearing style? I'm thinking of buying one for frame #3. Their size seems correctly proportioned for skinny steel tube frames. Aesthetically, I think the carbon X0 cranks on my first frame look ridiculously oversized, juxtaposed against the skinny frame tubes.

  8. #8
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    How do you like the Middleburn crank? Is it square-taper, or the new external bearing style? I'm thinking of buying one for frame #3. Their size seems correctly proportioned for skinny steel tube frames. Aesthetically, I think the carbon X0 cranks on my first frame look ridiculously oversized, juxtaposed against the skinny frame tubes.
    I can't recommend them highly enough. These are square taper RS7s with a DUO spider using a Phil Wood BB MTB Tandems is the US distributor and they stock pretty much the entire range. IMO of you are not using this set up for a fatbike you've done it wrong. Nothing else out there has any tangible benefit, especially on things with 100mm BB's and giant tires.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  9. #9
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Found some parts heavily discounted for my Son's future Fatbike so I pulled the trigger. Going to play with the brazeon direct mounting for the Maguras. The plan is the HS33 will give him a solid brake for little hands without using disc (aka salad shooter).

    Last edited by G-reg; 01-15-2014 at 05:15 AM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    473

    G-reg Build Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Found some parts heavily discounted for my Son's future Fatbike...

    Where'd you get the rims?

  11. #11
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    WebCyclery had them cheap as they are a discontinued model. There are some cool 20in rims that are wider and lighter made by Trialtech, but they are a bit spendy....Even relative to this silly project

    I've started looking for Minis on CL to poach other parts for the build.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  12. #12
    WIGGLER
    Reputation: todwil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    902
    Trials bike parts....great idea that should make the perfect fat tire for a munchkin!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

    MR. 36er TROLL


  13. #13
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Working on #9 the Belt Drive/Disc/700x42mm studded/fender'd/EBB commuter bike. The future owner has a garage of bike filled with frames cracked at excessive dimples in the chainstays. It's been a challenge to find a gearing/belt length/chainstay dimension/ that will play well within the throw of a 63mm PF30 EBB. There's only so much slack that can be taken up with the EBB, and a narrow window where "big studded" tires will play well with fenders and have clearance with the 55t belt drive chainring. I've nearly got it narrowed down to how I'm going to proceed.



    But for the next week prepping for the AH135 trumps most everything else in my life.

    This #9 "Wenzmuter" will be at least done with my workings shortly after the AH.

    To be followed by the 36er because I want to ride it at the Almanzo100....you know, because.

    And then the O'14 XC bike. Looking to use a tapered headtube as they exist nowadays from the usual suspects. A bit longer and lower than #6

    The "Husky" bike for my Son soon thereafter.

    I've got a personal "grouch-cross" bike in mind with tubulars/SS/DM Paul Racers.

    And a disc Roadie.

    The Que may open for other test-dummies after that.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  14. #14
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Working on #9 the Belt Drive/Disc/700x42mm studded/fender'd/EBB commuter bike. The future owner has a garage of bike filled with frames cracked at excessive dimples in the chainstays. It's been a challenge to find a gearing/belt length/chainstay dimension/ that will play well within the throw of a 63mm PF30 EBB. There's only so much slack that can be taken up with the EBB, and a narrow window where "big studded" tires will play well with fenders and have clearance with the 55t belt drive chainring. I've nearly got it narrowed down to how I'm going to proceed.



    But for the next week prepping for the AH135 trumps most everything else in my life.

    This #9 "Wenzmuter" will be at least done with my workings shortly after the AH.

    To be followed by the 36er because I want to ride it at the Almanzo100....you know, because.

    And then the O'14 XC bike. Looking to use a tapered headtube as they exist nowadays from the usual suspects. A bit longer and lower than #6

    The "Husky" bike for my Son soon thereafter.

    I've got a personal "grouch-cross" bike in mind with tubulars/SS/DM Paul Racers.

    And a disc Roadie.

    The Que may open for other test-dummies after that.
    Keep them coming Greg. I enjoy following your work. Can you post more detail pics of your 29+ bike? I love that thing!

    Thanks, Wil
    Last edited by bikecycology; 01-24-2014 at 08:20 AM.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    473

    G-reg Build Thread

    Not framebuilding content, so please forgive me, but this is worth mentioning here since I believe he rode the fat bike he built...

    AWESOME JOB AT THE ARROWHEAD 135 GREG!! Lucky 13! That is pretty damn impressive, man. Last time I checked, there were 54 bike DNFs (maybe more, some folks are still out on the course). Temps in the -20s (maybe even -30s?) and windchills in the -50s. CRAZY! Again, nice work, you should be proud!

    And to bring this back on topic, how did the bike perform? Any changes you'll make if/when you do the AH135 again?

  16. #16
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Not framebuilding content, so please forgive me, but this is worth mentioning here since I believe he rode the fat bike he built...

    AWESOME JOB AT THE ARROWHEAD 135 GREG!! Lucky 13! That is pretty damn impressive, man. Last time I checked, there were 54 bike DNFs (maybe more, some folks are still out on the course). Temps in the -20s (maybe even -30s?) and windchills in the -50s. CRAZY! Again, nice work, you should be proud!

    And to bring this back on topic, how did the bike perform? Any changes you'll make if/when you do the AH135 again?
    +1 there! That is something I long to do, build a frame, build it up and race it! Look forward to hearing about the experience.

  17. #17
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks fellas, bike worked great. There were lots of new toys out there this year with carbon this and that.....Had a few "whaddy'a mean you built it" conversations. I used a Surly Bud tire this year and it really solved my complaints about how the front of the bike handled from last year. The tired surly Larry I had been running was a bit stretched/square on the Clownshoes. The Bud upped the overall diameter a bit and made for a round profile even at fatbike pressures. And is like snow-velcro, so much better a front tire than really anything else available. Other than that I'm really happy with my fitment. 33hrs on a bike, and while my body is pretty pissed off, didn't have any lower back/arm/leg pain. The Pugsley I had before this one left me nearly crippled.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  18. #18
    Nemophilist
    Reputation: TrailMaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,873
    Hey G;

    REALLY super that you were able to engineer out the long term physical limitations like that.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

  19. #19
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Crappy cell pic of a little progress on #9. Not really much to show so I didn't bother with the real camera. But I've been eyeball-engineering the hell out of this chainstay. The future owner has a few frames that have cracked at or near a crimp in the drive side chainstay. So I'm trying really hard to not crimp the DS-CS, and with a 55t 11mm wide beltdrive chainring hanging out there has become a challenge. If that was the only challenge it would be too easy....So, added to the frey is clearance for studded 700x42 tires, full fenders, 68mm bb, chanstay length within the small window to play with the 55x22 gearing/EBB/available belts. The solution ended up being using the Dedacciai CX prebent stays, not as super bendy as the 29er stays that are so popular. I still had to do a little squeezing/dimpling/bending to make room within the space the tire and chainring were fighting for. But it's a pretty burly stay, so I think the stay will be stiff enough and plenty durable for the intended use. The pic shows poorly, but there's 3-4mm clearance between the ring and CS.

    Also in the pic is an added brazeon on the back of the ST for the fender (looks off center, but it's ok). A feature on a current bike the future owner of #9 has, and really makes sense and is a cool place to use a leather washer.

    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  20. #20
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Crappy cell pic of a little progress on #9. Not really much to show so I didn't bother with the real camera. But I've been eyeball-engineering the hell out of this chainstay. The future owner has a few frames that have cracked at or near a crimp in the drive side chainstay. So I'm trying really hard to not crimp the DS-CS, and with a 55t 11mm wide beltdrive chainring hanging out there has become a challenge. If that was the only challenge it would be too easy....So, added to the frey is clearance for studded 700x42 tires, full fenders, 68mm bb, chanstay length within the small window to play with the 55x22 gearing/EBB/available belts. The solution ended up being using the Dedacciai CX prebent stays, not as super bendy as the 29er stays that are so popular. I still had to do a little squeezing/dimpling/bending to make room within the space the tire and chainring were fighting for. But it's a pretty burly stay, so I think the stay will be stiff enough and plenty durable for the intended use. The pic shows poorly, but there's 3-4mm clearance between the ring and CS.

    Also in the pic is an added brazeon on the back of the ST for the fender (looks off center, but it's ok). A feature on a current bike the future owner of #9 has, and really makes sense and is a cool place to use a leather washer.

    You got this! Mark a section on the stay that would be best not there, file a notch vertically in that area and braze a matching (larger) diameter piece of tubing in to give the clearance you need. Make sense?

    Keep us posted.

  21. #21
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    You got this! Mark a section on the stay that would be best not there, file a notch vertically in that area and braze a matching (larger) diameter piece of tubing in to give the clearance you need. Make sense?

    Keep us posted.
    Nope, as I said this guy has at least 2 frames cracked at the dimple for chainring clearance on the DS chainstay. He's a tall guy and a strong rider, hogging out and brazing in a plate in the CS is not the answer for his dedicated SS bike. If I couldn't make it work I would have talked the him out of the beltdrive, we've already talked a ton about the pros-cons-compromises. I can count, using only my hands, the # of times the He's not ridden 12mi one way to work for nearly 15 yrs...In ND. And that was usually due to a scheduling conflict with his Son's sporting events. So this one will get a proper testing.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  22. #22
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Nope, as I said this guy has at least 2 frames cracked at the dimple for chainring clearance on the DS chainstay. He's a tall guy and a strong rider, hogging out and brazing in a plate in the CS is not the answer for his dedicated SS bike. If I couldn't make it work I would have talked the him out of the beltdrive, we've already talked a ton about the pros-cons-compromises. I can count, using only my hands, the # of times the He's not ridden 12mi one way to work for nearly 15 yrs...In ND. And that was usually due to a scheduling conflict with his Son's sporting events. So this one will get a proper testing.
    You don't think you maintain strength with a brazed in piece? In my limited understanding of engineering, it seems to me to be at least as strong if not slightly stronger. Nonethless, good to see you getting it figured out. Would've been easier on an MTB with a smaller ring for sure.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    294
    The brazed in piece is an interesting suggestion vs a dimple/smash. Wonder how to know which is a longer term solution, hmmm.
    FEA analysis anyone? Not to derail op's good work here.
    Good idea on the Deda CX stays, I have a couple sets ready to use, and there's a nice variety of bends. Plus those Dedas ride nice, good springy steel.
    cheers
    andy walker

  24. #24
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    I don't think the chop and fill means of making room for a belt drive ring is a good option. Even if it ends up strong enough to maintain stiffness, I don't think it would be durable enough to live for very long.

    This will work out with minimal dimpling, there were just a bunch of extra variables with this one that had me scratching my head for a little while.
    Last edited by G-reg; 03-03-2014 at 03:30 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  25. #25
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Work and life blow, finally had a chance to catch up on #9. Chainstays tacked, and a quick mockup for one more sanity check. There's enough room for everything, barely. I'm enjoying this beer and the internets for a few more minutes and I'm off to try and get the seatstays cut. Some further racking of the brain on where I can place the Paragon tubing splitter. It's got to be pretty far up the stay, but have to keep it out of the bends and away from where the brace will be.



    p.s. ignore the hot rod tire selection...
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  26. #26
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    All this talk about belts and BB's in other threads I thought I'd share my meagre progress on my own build.

    I cut a seatstay for the tubing splitter *just* wrong It was the Deddiacciacia "CX" stays, pretty beefy looking, but pretty thin walls where I cut it and the splitter was waaaaay loose. So I had to order a few more stays. Works out for the better though as the replacements are nicer and will complement the rest of the tubing well.

    I haven't played with any socket style brazing yet, but thanks to the internets it was pretty easy. Butter up the inside of the stay with flux and cram a coil of silver up there, a bit more flux on the splitter and cram it in there. Into the vise with the splitter on the bottom and the stay and coil of silver on the top. Add fire till the flux gets glassy...and keep it just that hot (but don't you dare overheat it) until you have pulled silver evenly out the bottom.



    My cut for the splitter is in the middle of the "S bends." This created problems with keeping both ends in phase and not changing the angle of the bends compared to the other stay. I'd use something like PMW's @ the dropout bolton splitter if I do another belt bike.



    Plan is to get the seatstays cut and at least tacked tomorrow. We've FINALLY broken out of winter round these parts, and this bikes whole purpose in live is spring/fall commuting so I'd like to get it on the road soon.

    *Edit* I was half hoping I'd need to place my splitter high enough it would interfere with a standard bridge and have to copy Shamrock:

    G-reg Build Thread-shamrock.jpg



    *Edited Edit*

    Looking at building a road bike and a CX bike for myself in the near-ish future.

    In my head currently is the roadie to be disc braked/Di2/tapered steerer carbon fork/tubeless carbon wheels/etc. And the CX bike to be the "grouch cross" with lugs/Al Campy/Paul Racers/32spoke-3x tubular/etc. But I flip back and forth between which should have the new toys and which should be "old school." After typing this out I feel like the CX bike would be better with the new stuff and the roadie with the throwback build.....
    Last edited by G-reg; 03-14-2014 at 03:08 AM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  27. #27
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Greg,

    Not sure if your edited edit was looking for an opinion but I agree with your latter. The CX would feel right at home with all the new and techy stuff and the roadie is the most forgiving it how it is presented.

    Anything up new with the Boxus? Have you ridden it much? I know the weather has been against that. Just wondering your plans with that thing.

  28. #28
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Greg,
    Not sure if your edited edit was looking for an opinion but I agree with your latter. The CX would feel right at home with all the new and techy stuff and the roadie is the most forgiving it how it is presented.
    Anything up new with the Boxus? Have you ridden it much? I know the weather has been against that. Just wondering your plans with that thing.
    Equal parts thinking out loud and cry for help. I think my 2001 Klein Quantum will get some new parts and give me some miles/hours to think about future road bike fit/goals.

    That said I think the cyclocross bike (potentially #13) will be "grouchy." Lugs, DM Paul racers, tubular wheels, etc.

    As for #9, it's *functionally* finished.




    Slapped it together the new owner can check it out for a bit pre-powdercoat. As with #7, I ensured that the owner had the ABSOLUTE first ride. Some combination of He likes it and not having brakes made for a lengthy maiden voyage. It's now fully fendered with brakes, and will start it's life as a commuter tomorrow morning.

    The "GXP kit" works nicely, and I think it would be happy to combine any GXP crank with a "std" 24mm outboard bearing BB.
    Last edited by G-reg; 04-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  29. #29
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    #9's owner stopped by on his way home. I was going to tear it down and properly finish polishing it out for it to get powdercoated. But I think he's going to keep riding it for a few weeks, so far a happy customer. Fit is spot on, rides straight and smooth, belt and ebb are silent, how the stay braces were fabbed worked out nicely with the fenders.

    G-reg Build Thread-13768472635_a0455ab3fc_h.jpg
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  30. #30
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Way to go Greg! Looks nice. I like how simple that is. Where do you live? Guessing not all that hilly for having a single speed commuter.

  31. #31
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    Way to go Greg! Looks nice. I like how simple that is. Where do you live? Guessing not all that hilly for having a single speed commuter.
    Eastern North Dakota, "hills" are also known as interstate overpasses.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  32. #32
    WIGGLER
    Reputation: todwil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    902
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    #9's owner stopped by on his way home. I was going to tear it down and properly finish polishing it out for it to get powdercoated. But I think he's going to keep riding it for a few weeks, so far a happy customer. Fit is spot on, rides straight and smooth, belt and ebb are silent, how the stay braces were fabbed worked out nicely with the fenders.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13768472635_a0455ab3fc_h.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	133.7 KB 
ID:	884370

    Greg you did good!! He should have miles of smiles!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

    MR. 36er TROLL


  33. #33
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Took #8 out with the Pup to scout the local trails. It's been below freezing again for a day or so, and the unholy muck that is mud around here was nice and frozen. At least this is about as high as the river is going to get this flood season, at it's worst it crests about 25ft above my head where the pic was taken. The family has passed on a nice bit of bronchitis my way, so the quick spin with the dog nearly killed me. I think I'll skip riding anymore for a day or so. Work on the 36er begins in earnest instead!

    G-reg Build Thread-13850489385_12288664ab_b.jpg
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  34. #34
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    [QUOTE=G-reg;11133703]Took #8 out with the Pup to scout the local trails. It's been below freezing again for a day or so, and the unholy muck that is mud around here was nice and frozen. At least this is about as high as the river is going to get this flood season, at it's worst it crests about 25ft above my head where the pic was taken. The family has passed on a nice bit of bronchitis my way, so the quick spin with the dog nearly killed me. I think I'll skip riding anymore for a day or so. Work on the 36er begins in earnest instead!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13850489385_12288664ab_b.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	307.7 KB 
ID:	885494[/QUOTE

    mad jealousy with his thing. Must have one!
    Last edited by bikecycology; 04-15-2014 at 06:43 PM.

  35. #35
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    #9 is back for some finish work...And Style Points!

    G-reg Build Thread-14043807313_ea7dd8bbe1_h.jpg
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  36. #36
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    G-reg Build Thread-13968449719_687dbabbfa_c.jpg

    G-reg Build Thread-14131993086_38ebc05999_c.jpg

    G-reg Build Thread-13968433117_cf921b8c12_c.jpg

    G-reg Build Thread-14152284452_0c854f949a_c.jpg

    Painted up, reinstall the fenders and it's a sexy commuter.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  37. #37
    Ipso Facto
    Reputation: bikecycology's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    179
    Real nice Greg! That bike looks real slick. No builder markings/logo? Are those TRP mech brakes? Any feedback yet on how they are? I'm considering a set for a bike of mine. Not sure if I want to go with those or the HY/RD hydros.

  38. #38
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Thanks
    The TRP Mech's are very nice, better than BB7's in many ways. They had something of a recall in early units because they pad could get stuck out when they got too warn. But they feel nice and stiff like a hydro since you aren't bending the rotor to make contact with both pads. And they retract quite a bit so the pads are pretty tolerant of a wonky rotor. I think it's crazy they don't make one for MTB pull levers.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  39. #39
    WIGGLER
    Reputation: todwil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    902
    G-reg nicely done......but we need a pic with the fenders installed also!!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

    MR. 36er TROLL


  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    #9 is back for some finish work...And Style Points!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	14043807313_ea7dd8bbe1_h.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	888617
    That is so cool!

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Meriwether's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    430
    Looks awesome! I really dig how this belt drive turned out. Thanks for the Deda chainstay tip, if it fit with a 55t ring maybe an even smaller dimple for a 46 fitting 40's and fenders. The h20 boss on the back of the seat tube is a great idea for securing the fender!

  42. #42
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600

    Rando Update

    Crappy cell pick of #9 w/fenders:

    Owner is still diggin the ride/fit/belt.

    G-reg Build Thread-14162545636_807fc86d68_c.jpg

    Had the "KnardGo" aka #8 out racing at the Mt Borah Epic. Even Brutally out of shape still managed 87th out of 327 on a SS(yes that's HED's Paul Ellis that finished aHEaD of me).

    Still no Powder or Paint, this is what happens after 6hrs on the back of a car driving back from Wisco in the rain...

    G-reg Build Thread-14317747968_3d47190215_c.jpg

    From my earlier thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by todwil View Post
    Hey Greg I think Im going to attempt one of these next so I have a couple questions? So after almost a year of riding this is there anything you would change? Also did you use the standardish 29er geo or did you make it all fit just the 3.0 tires, such as the BB height, HT angle? It looks like you are using the Krampus fork and that fork has more rake I beleive.

    Thanx
    Todd
    Todd,
    I started with the Large Krampus Geometry, and changed things from there to suit my fit/preferences. The big one is the fork, it's a Salsa Chromoto suspension corrected 26in fork. The Krampus is designed around a 120mm travel 29er fork, which is waaaaaaay long. This fork allowed me to drop the handlebars quite a bit vs a Krampus without using a super short headtube. The chainstays are quite a bit shorter and the BB lower compared to a Krampus.

    If I were to do it over again, I'd go a bit longer/lower on the front and a bit higher on the BB. That would balance things when standing and cranking as you are apt to when SS'n.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  43. #43
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Got some color on the #9. It's "Anodized green" over a "Chromelike" base.



    I wasn't in love with it when I picked it up to be honest. I wanted a green bike, but did not want it to be so easily assumed to be a Krampus, hence the matte clearcoat. My first thoughts were it looks like a 'Mart bike color", and/or the official color of the Dale Jr. fan club. But now that it's built up and a little dirty it's growing on me. I've got to get out the nice camera, as the point and shoot is struggling with focusing on the "shiny-matte" powdercoat. The "shiny-matte" also REALLY magnifies any metalwork blemishes.

    Proving the camera's struggles here's a pic up against what will soon bear the brunt of my learning to TIG/MIG weld, a '70 IH Scout.
    [/url]

    And another with my Medium sized Foundry Tomahawk (I ran out of time to build myself a new XC bike this season). The Tomahawk is really a bit small for me...But #9 has a shorter wheelbase/chainstays/lower BB/Slacker HT....All with the big wheels and seat/bars in the same position.


    I love how #9 rides.....I can't stand the CarpetFibre bike
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  44. #44
    650b me
    Reputation: golden boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,347
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    I love how #9 rides.....I can't stand the CarpetFibre bike
    Do tell. Do you feel there is an inherent difference in ride feel between steel and carbon fiber?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: whydomylegshurt?'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    165
    Is that an 80 or 800 in the background?

  46. #46
    will rant for food
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,640
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Do tell. Do you feel there is an inherent difference in ride feel between steel and carbon fiber?
    Yeah, carbon is too stiff. Did some experiments related to the fiber orientation magicks that are highly touted by the high end bike industry. The "pliable" directions were still pretty damn stiff.

    I find it odd sometimes that I'm trying to make composite bikes after riding many - but never owning any - of them. Well guess what, the ones I make are going to ride soft, I promise, via visibly mechanical means (soft tail).

    Just throwing in my two cents, eager to hear G-reg's opinion rather than my butting in.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

  47. #47
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Do tell. Do you feel there is an inherent difference in ride feel between steel and carbon fiber?
    It's not so much the Carbon, but the fit and geometry. I've just gotten really used to fitting myself to a frame and tweaking geometry. Compared to #6, which cracked as you'll recall due to a wimpy seat tube, the Foundry has a higher BB, longer CS, Shorter Front Center, and slacker ST/HT angles. Combine that with the long stem to make up for the short front end it sucks compared to #6 for my trails. Add in the surprisingly contentious customer service for the chronically defective rear hub from a company known as the undisputed King of unquestionable quality and service ......And I hate that bike. I've angered the cycling gods by not riding my own frames and cheating on the cup and cone awesomness that is Shimano Hubs. Look for the frame in the classifieds soon, between the hub and life in general I've F'd away most of the XC events this year already. It's all #9 for the rest of the MTB season.


    Quote Originally Posted by whydomylegshurt? View Post
    Is that an 80 or 800 in the background?
    '70 800A, with the not so common AMC 232. LOTS O' rust and previous owners "repairs" to practice with one of them fancy electro-welders.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  48. #48
    WIGGLER
    Reputation: todwil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    902
    I was just getting use to the Patina look.....BUT I like green!!!! Nice.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

    MR. 36er TROLL


  49. #49
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    PAID SPAM!

    In building my 650b Sid WC with an RCT3 damper meant buying a few SIDs. I'm pawning the 29er fork I used in making my 650 franken-fork before RS sold proper 650 lowers. Check the ad, essentially a new SID XX with used lowers for 450.00
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

  50. #50
    Harrumph
    Reputation: G-reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,600
    #8 got me through another Chequamegon 40. I swapped out the Thompson seatpost because of some busted hardware, and the Ritchey Classic that replaced it on short notice has a healthy bit of offset. It leaves me a bit further back than I'd like, but it really didn't bother me too much.

    It has be looking/thinking/ruining practice tubing for the 36er getting a seat tube bent that leaves plenty of room for seat post adjustment and doesn't jack too much with the effective seat tube angle.

    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Burner Build Thread
    By 6thElement in forum Turner
    Replies: 640
    Last Post: 09-24-2016, 08:35 AM
  2. ARC-X Build thread
    By frknlitebike in forum Yeti
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-12-2016, 07:27 AM
  3. SB 95 Build Thread?
    By yorkn in forum Yeti
    Replies: 368
    Last Post: 12-02-2015, 11:54 AM
  4. ASR-7 Build Thread
    By belljeffw in forum Yeti
    Replies: 521
    Last Post: 04-03-2014, 07:54 PM
  5. First SS build thread
    By Fakie1999 in forum Singlespeed
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 05:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •