Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Harrumph

G-reg Build Thread

I started updating a few of my threads and decided to be lazy and consolidate further projects into a single thread.

Previous threads:
    #1 "The North Fargo" (Retired)
    #2 "Numberrr Two" (Retired, but functional)
    #3 "650Brunette" (Retired, out of spite)
    #4 "Husky" (Active)
    #5 "Knardgo" (Active)
    #6 "650B.A." (Retired)
    #7 "Vino" (Active)
    #8 "Boxus" (Active)
    #9 "Wentzmuter" (Active)
    #10 36er (In the Jig)

Future builds / queue
    Fat Bike for 4yo (soon to buy things from Webcyclery, and Magura)
    "650B.A 2" (new XC bike for O'14)
    "Roadster" (road bike with discs, tapered carpetfibre fork,)
    "Grouch Cross" (cross bike with lugs, tubs, Paul racers, stainless things?....)

And to get things kicked off:

I thought there was a BikeCad print of #8, either it ran away or I forgot it. But here it is again/at all. Low bb, short stays/front center/fork/HT for a nimble fun bike with big wheels.

Built #8 up for a 12hr race (I was on a 4 person team) with the M985 XTR crank for it's 40t big ring. And found that the M985 has a narrower Qfactor than the SS M960 they replaced. Even with barely 1mm clearance between the crank arms and chain stays there was not enough flex from the Paragon yoke and 7/8in stays for any metal on metal contact even when "giving it everything."

#7 was ridden to 110 solo miles during that same 12hr race. The owner of #12 then ran *only* 31 miles on the following day on the same course as a part of an ultimate-badass endurance series.

I took a lap on #4 just for the fun of it. No pics of me on #8, but I managed the fastest lap on it.

More #8 pics
    Last edited by G-reg; 3 Days Ago at 12:35 PM.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    Bad Ass G-reg!
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Open the queue, I'd like dibs on #25. It's my lucky number. Also, I want to make a frame bag for the dude's little fat bike!
    Last edited by JAGI410; 12-12-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

WIGGLER
    G-reg can you tell my gal pal it's ok to have a lot of bikes? Great cross section of
    Twowheelers!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Cool ! The first few frames are so much fun for sure !

Harrumph
    Merry Christmas to Me:

Phil BB wrenches, Abby Crombie/Whip, Paragon paraphernalia

Walt Works 36er fork!

New Direct Mount hanger for the Fatty

Temps got close to above freezing for a few days so the snow got a bit sticky.

650b me
    How do you like the Middleburn crank? Is it square-taper, or the new external bearing style? I'm thinking of buying one for frame #3. Their size seems correctly proportioned for skinny steel tube frames. Aesthetically, I think the carbon X0 cranks on my first frame look ridiculously oversized, juxtaposed against the skinny frame tubes.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    How do you like the Middleburn crank? Is it square-taper, or the new external bearing style? I'm thinking of buying one for frame #3. Their size seems correctly proportioned for skinny steel tube frames. Aesthetically, I think the carbon X0 cranks on my first frame look ridiculously oversized, juxtaposed against the skinny frame tubes.
    I can't recommend them highly enough. These are square taper RS7s with a DUO spider using a Phil Wood BB MTB Tandems is the US distributor and they stock pretty much the entire range. IMO of you are not using this set up for a fatbike you've done it wrong. Nothing else out there has any tangible benefit, especially on things with 100mm BB's and giant tires.

Harrumph
    Found some parts heavily discounted for my Son's future Fatbike so I pulled the trigger. Going to play with the brazeon direct mounting for the Maguras. The plan is the HS33 will give him a solid brake for little hands without using disc (aka salad shooter).

Last edited by G-reg; 01-15-2014 at 04:15 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010

G-reg Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    Found some parts heavily discounted for my Son's future Fatbike...

Where'd you get the rims?

Harrumph
    WebCyclery had them cheap as they are a discontinued model. There are some cool 20in rims that are wider and lighter made by Trialtech, but they are a bit spendy....Even relative to this silly project

I've started looking for Minis on CL to poach other parts for the build.

WIGGLER
    Trials bike parts....great idea that should make the perfect fat tire for a munchkin!!
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

Harrumph
    Working on #9 the Belt Drive/Disc/700x42mm studded/fender'd/EBB commuter bike. The future owner has a garage of bike filled with frames cracked at excessive dimples in the chainstays. It's been a challenge to find a gearing/belt length/chainstay dimension/ that will play well within the throw of a 63mm PF30 EBB. There's only so much slack that can be taken up with the EBB, and a narrow window where "big studded" tires will play well with fenders and have clearance with the 55t belt drive chainring. I've nearly got it narrowed down to how I'm going to proceed.

But for the next week prepping for the AH135 trumps most everything else in my life.

This #9 "Wenzmuter" will be at least done with my workings shortly after the AH.

To be followed by the 36er because I want to ride it at the Almanzo100....you know, because.

And then the O'14 XC bike. Looking to use a tapered headtube as they exist nowadays from the usual suspects. A bit longer and lower than #6

The "Husky" bike for my Son soon thereafter.

I've got a personal "grouch-cross" bike in mind with tubulars/SS/DM Paul Racers.

And a disc Roadie.

The Que may open for other test-dummies after that.

mtbr member
    Working on #9 the Belt Drive/Disc/700x42mm studded/fender'd/EBB commuter bike. The future owner has a garage of bike filled with frames cracked at excessive dimples in the chainstays. It's been a challenge to find a gearing/belt length/chainstay dimension/ that will play well within the throw of a 63mm PF30 EBB. There's only so much slack that can be taken up with the EBB, and a narrow window where "big studded" tires will play well with fenders and have clearance with the 55t belt drive chainring. I've nearly got it narrowed down to how I'm going to proceed.

But for the next week prepping for the AH135 trumps most everything else in my life.

This #9 "Wenzmuter" will be at least done with my workings shortly after the AH.

To be followed by the 36er because I want to ride it at the Almanzo100....you know, because.

And then the O'14 XC bike. Looking to use a tapered headtube as they exist nowadays from the usual suspects. A bit longer and lower than #6

The "Husky" bike for my Son soon thereafter.

I've got a personal "grouch-cross" bike in mind with tubulars/SS/DM Paul Racers.

And a disc Roadie.

The Que may open for other test-dummies after that.
    Keep them coming Greg. I enjoy following your work. Can you post more detail pics of your 29+ bike? I love that thing!

Thanks, Wil
    Last edited by bikecycology; 01-24-2014 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010

G-reg Build Thread

Not framebuilding content, so please forgive me, but this is worth mentioning here since I believe he rode the fat bike he built...

AWESOME JOB AT THE ARROWHEAD 135 GREG!! Lucky 13! That is pretty damn impressive, man. Last time I checked, there were 54 bike DNFs (maybe more, some folks are still out on the course). Temps in the -20s (maybe even -30s?) and windchills in the -50s. CRAZY! Again, nice work, you should be proud!

And to bring this back on topic, how did the bike perform? Any changes you'll make if/when you do the AH135 again?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FTMN View Post
    Not framebuilding content, so please forgive me, but this is worth mentioning here since I believe he rode the fat bike he built...

AWESOME JOB AT THE ARROWHEAD 135 GREG!! Lucky 13! That is pretty damn impressive, man. Last time I checked, there were 54 bike DNFs (maybe more, some folks are still out on the course). Temps in the -20s (maybe even -30s?) and windchills in the -50s. CRAZY! Again, nice work, you should be proud!

And to bring this back on topic, how did the bike perform? Any changes you'll make if/when you do the AH135 again?
    +1 there! That is something I long to do, build a frame, build it up and race it! Look forward to hearing about the experience.

Harrumph
    Thanks fellas, bike worked great. There were lots of new toys out there this year with carbon this and that.....Had a few "whaddy'a mean you built it" conversations. I used a Surly Bud tire this year and it really solved my complaints about how the front of the bike handled from last year. The tired surly Larry I had been running was a bit stretched/square on the Clownshoes. The Bud upped the overall diameter a bit and made for a round profile even at fatbike pressures. And is like snow-velcro, so much better a front tire than really anything else available. Other than that I'm really happy with my fitment. 33hrs on a bike, and while my body is pretty pissed off, didn't have any lower back/arm/leg pain. The Pugsley I had before this one left me nearly crippled.

Nemophilist
    Hey G;

REALLY super that you were able to engineer out the long term physical limitations like that.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Harrumph
    Crappy cell pic of a little progress on #9. Not really much to show so I didn't bother with the real camera. But I've been eyeball-engineering the hell out of this chainstay. The future owner has a few frames that have cracked at or near a crimp in the drive side chainstay. So I'm trying really hard to not crimp the DS-CS, and with a 55t 11mm wide beltdrive chainring hanging out there has become a challenge. If that was the only challenge it would be too easy....So, added to the frey is clearance for studded 700x42 tires, full fenders, 68mm bb, chanstay length within the small window to play with the 55x22 gearing/EBB/available belts. The solution ended up being using the Dedacciai CX prebent stays, not as super bendy as the 29er stays that are so popular. I still had to do a little squeezing/dimpling/bending to make room within the space the tire and chainring were fighting for. But it's a pretty burly stay, so I think the stay will be stiff enough and plenty durable for the intended use. The pic shows poorly, but there's 3-4mm clearance between the ring and CS.

Also in the pic is an added brazeon on the back of the ST for the fender (looks off center, but it's ok). A feature on a current bike the future owner of #9 has, and really makes sense and is a cool place to use a leather washer.

mtbr member
    Crappy cell pic of a little progress on #9. Not really much to show so I didn't bother with the real camera. But I've been eyeball-engineering the hell out of this chainstay. The future owner has a few frames that have cracked at or near a crimp in the drive side chainstay. So I'm trying really hard to not crimp the DS-CS, and with a 55t 11mm wide beltdrive chainring hanging out there has become a challenge. If that was the only challenge it would be too easy....So, added to the frey is clearance for studded 700x42 tires, full fenders, 68mm bb, chanstay length within the small window to play with the 55x22 gearing/EBB/available belts. The solution ended up being using the Dedacciai CX prebent stays, not as super bendy as the 29er stays that are so popular. I still had to do a little squeezing/dimpling/bending to make room within the space the tire and chainring were fighting for. But it's a pretty burly stay, so I think the stay will be stiff enough and plenty durable for the intended use. The pic shows poorly, but there's 3-4mm clearance between the ring and CS.

Also in the pic is an added brazeon on the back of the ST for the fender (looks off center, but it's ok). A feature on a current bike the future owner of #9 has, and really makes sense and is a cool place to use a leather washer.

You got this! Mark a section on the stay that would be best not there, file a notch vertically in that area and braze a matching (larger) diameter piece of tubing in to give the clearance you need. Make sense?

Keep us posted.

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by bikecycology View Post
    You got this! Mark a section on the stay that would be best not there, file a notch vertically in that area and braze a matching (larger) diameter piece of tubing in to give the clearance you need. Make sense?

Keep us posted.
    Nope, as I said this guy has at least 2 frames cracked at the dimple for chainring clearance on the DS chainstay. He's a tall guy and a strong rider, hogging out and brazing in a plate in the CS is not the answer for his dedicated SS bike. If I couldn't make it work I would have talked the him out of the beltdrive, we've already talked a ton about the pros-cons-compromises. I can count, using only my hands, the # of times the He's not ridden 12mi one way to work for nearly 15 yrs...In ND. And that was usually due to a scheduling conflict with his Son's sporting events. So this one will get a proper testing.

mtbr member
    Nope, as I said this guy has at least 2 frames cracked at the dimple for chainring clearance on the DS chainstay. He's a tall guy and a strong rider, hogging out and brazing in a plate in the CS is not the answer for his dedicated SS bike. If I couldn't make it work I would have talked the him out of the beltdrive, we've already talked a ton about the pros-cons-compromises. I can count, using only my hands, the # of times the He's not ridden 12mi one way to work for nearly 15 yrs...In ND. And that was usually due to a scheduling conflict with his Son's sporting events. So this one will get a proper testing.
    You don't think you maintain strength with a brazed in piece? In my limited understanding of engineering, it seems to me to be at least as strong if not slightly stronger. Nonethless, good to see you getting it figured out. Would've been easier on an MTB with a smaller ring for sure.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    The brazed in piece is an interesting suggestion vs a dimple/smash. Wonder how to know which is a longer term solution, hmmm.
    FEA analysis anyone? Not to derail op's good work here.
    Good idea on the Deda CX stays, I have a couple sets ready to use, and there's a nice variety of bends. Plus those Dedas ride nice, good springy steel.
    cheers
    andy walker

Harrumph
    I don't think the chop and fill means of making room for a belt drive ring is a good option. Even if it ends up strong enough to maintain stiffness, I don't think it would be durable enough to live for very long.

This will work out with minimal dimpling, there were just a bunch of extra variables with this one that had me scratching my head for a little while.
    Last edited by G-reg; 03-03-2014 at 02:30 PM.

Harrumph
    Work and life blow, finally had a chance to catch up on #9. Chainstays tacked, and a quick mockup for one more sanity check. There's enough room for everything, barely. I'm enjoying this beer and the internets for a few more minutes and I'm off to try and get the seatstays cut. Some further racking of the brain on where I can place the Paragon tubing splitter. It's got to be pretty far up the stay, but have to keep it out of the bends and away from where the brace will be.

p.s. ignore the hot rod tire selection...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast