mtbr member

frame number 001

Hi All,

I've been lurking on this forum for a long time and figured I ought to post up the fruits of my labor. I am thankful to everyone who posts on this forum and shares their work and ideas. I am continually amazed at the resourcefulness and creativity of the folks on this forum. It's awesome that there are so many professional builders who are willing to contribute too.

I finished this frame in February 2013. I did not use any fixtures or jigs, just a surface plate and v-blocks. I followed the Paterek Manual pretty closely and I used bikecad for the design work. The bikecad miter templates were super helpful. I did the mitering with a saw for the rough cut and then files. I used wooden tubing blocks that I made to hold the tubes for mitering and for drilling water bottle holes on the drill press (which was not really rigid enough to drill them perfectly). The frame came out pretty straight, to my surprise. I did however make a boatload of mistakes. So many mistakes that I just spray painted the frame figuring this will be a temporary ride until I can build another. I have enjoyed riding it in the meantime though.

As anyone who has built their own frame will acknowledge, it would have been far less expensive to have simply purchased a frameset, but what fun would that be? Since finishing this frame I have acquired a mill and lathe to make some fixtures - I think I am going to start with a beam type. Again, I have been really impressed with the fixtures forum members have made and there are lots of good ideas here.

I have materials for 3 more frames; I just need some time to get going. Here's a pic of the complete bike with Campagnolo Athena 11 spd. frame number 001-img_20130613_104124_567.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    looking good! Can't tell if its tig or fillet, which? And what tubing did you use? Thanks, Brian

mtbr member
    Thanks. Sorry the pic kind of sucks. It is a lugged frame. I used some generic OS lugs from Nova with a sloping top tube and a Columbus Zona tube set. Used brass for the brazing, but I am going to use silver next time.

Nemophilist
    Good for you!

It looks fine. I'm always interested in the mistakes people think they made. What are you looking to correct for #002? You certainly have gotten yourself in deep with machine tools added to the mix. I can tell you that, while it may delay your bike building a bit as you wade through the machining part, it is quite a fun journey. I was not brave enough to try building a bike off the cuff without any fixturing. Just did not seem feasible to me, and rather against my nature and related experience. I would imagine a lug frame would eliminate much of the guess work, but still...

Keep us posted on what you are up to for No. 2.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    There were three mistakes that bothered my most.

I used a drill press to drill the water bottle boss holes and held the tubes with wood tubing blocks. The holes are not perfectly lined up, which I think was due to flex in the drill bit and drill press. I think using the mill next time will help with this.

The seat tube lug was slightly misshapen when I got it, almost like it had been dropped or something. I should have thrown it away, but I did not and it caused some problems. I also really overcooked that joint (and probably some others). I had to do a lot of reaming in the seat tube so it would accept a seat post.

I got brass everywhere. It would have taken forever to clean it up. I also got some stray file marks from the cleanup I did attempt. I'm considering this frame a trial run, and the next one will be much better.

I plan to use silver next time, which together with some more practice brazing should really help with keeping the heat down.

I was able to keep things pretty well aligned with tight miters, the surface plate and liberal use of clamps, but some fixtures next time will be very helpful too.

I'll post more pictures next time if my joints don't look like a hot dog that was left on the grill too long.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ruary View Post

I used a drill press to drill the water bottle boss holes and held the tubes with wood tubing blocks. The holes are not perfectly lined up, which I think was due to flex in the drill bit and drill press. I think using the mill next time will help with this.
    Drilling holes on something round is difficult. The problem is that a regular high speed steel bit will walk off if the tube isn't dead on centered. There are a couple of ways around it. First, you can make sure it's dead on with the mill and it may work out. The better way is to get a center drill and drill with it. It won't flex and wander off:

Combination Drill & Countersinks - Center Drills | MSCDirect.com

I built a little jig with two drill bushings and a hunk of small channel and some hydraulic tube clamps. The channel has the drill bushings welded on them so that they are spaced correctly and the axes of the holes are in plane with one another. You could then just call it good there and use a clamp of any sort and an angle drill to drill them. I added one of these:

http://img2.fastenal.com/productimages/0213163.jpg

I used the weld plate with the threads to the channel and then use just the other plate and half just one of the plastic bushings to hold the channel to the tube. Works like a champ and even if I had a mill, there's no chance I'd trade my little jig.

Good looking bike and welcome to the other side. It's maddening having so many ideas and never the time to get them all done!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    I built a little jig with two drill bushings and a hunk of small channel and some hydraulic tube clamps.
    Really like to see a pic of your jig.

thanks, Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ruary View Post
    There were three mistakes that bothered my most.

Did you use a spring loaded center punch prior to drilling the hole? Did you start with a small pilot hole before drilling the final hole?
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

pvd
    mtbr member
    Totally legit. Nice to see someone go totally old school!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calstar View Post
    Really like to see a pic of your jig.

thanks, Brian
    Here you are. Sorry it took me so long...

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the pic, nice simple design, always enjoy seeing tooling/solutions for various applications.

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calstar View Post
    Thanks for the pic, nice simple design, always enjoy seeing tooling/solutions for various applications.

Brian
    I have extra bushings. Maybe I should post up an add if you are interested.