mtbr member

frame fit specs for SRAM

After banging my head on my laptop searching for these documents online, I thought I'd see if any of y'all can help out.

I'm looking for frame fit specs, like what PVD has on his page for Shimano, but for SRAM Ultimate cantilever brakes. I've found SRAM's frame fit specs for their cranks but not for their cantilever brakes.

For my last three cross frames I used what I thought was normal -- 283mm from Axle to center of brake stud and 80mm center to center stud spacing but am having some issues with installing the Ultimates.

Does anyone know what these brakes require, or what works best?

mtbr member
    I can't help but I'd be shocked if those brakes were spec'd differently than normal. Bizarre.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Feldybikes View Post
    I can't help but I'd be shocked if those brakes were spec'd differently than normal. Bizarre.
    I think "normal" changes over time like with everything.

I've found that 80mm between studs is the new normal but that depending on the brakes and rim used you can use 65mm on up to 85mm. I think the Ultimates need at least 80mm and I this frame has maybe 75 (which works with Pauls & Shimano just fine).
    I'm just figuring out that depending on what type of seatstays you use and how much space there is at the tire, and what Paragon pre-mitered canti-boss you use, there could be issues.
    That's why I'm asking here - what have others found on width?

It may also be they need 275mm boss to axle instead of 283? Can't find what's "Normal" here, just used what was on my older Indy Fab cross bike).

Another issue with the Ultimates and probably other cantis is that they would bind when tightened down on the stud since stud lengths changed from pre-2008 (longer) to post-2008 (shorter). So after the first year the Ultimates were supplied with a spacer kit to alleviate that problem. So just need to make sure you have the right length studs from Paragon as they sell three lengths.

There isn't a bunch of built-in adjustability on the Avids I'm told.
    Once again, nothing like having the parts in hand before welding up the frame!

mtbr member
    I think I've got some tri-aligns in a box somewhere if you're still stuck

mtbr member
    ah yes, when Avid was Avid...those are sweet! Almost as good as their Rollamajig.
    My Paul's work just fine! I'm just becoming more anti-sram every day.