mtbr member

Frame # 1.5 - small huckable 29er

I've been lurking on the forum for awhile, learning frame building and metal working at the same time. Frame # 0.5 never made it past the front triangle due to complete lack of brazing skills. I've slowly been hacking away at this build as work allows. I finally hung some parts on it for its maiden voyage. It's far from a perfect specimen but it rides like a bike.

Frame # 1.5 - small huckable 29er-bike1.jpg

Frame # 1.5 - small huckable 29er-bike2.jpg

Frame # 1.5 - small huckable 29er-bike3.jpg

mtbr member
    Very cool CA, this looks a lot like the next bike I want to buy/build. Bet it was a real learning opportunity.

The rear triangle looks well done! I'd love to build a 29er, but bending all of that and making it work is intimidating.

mtbr member
    Thanks bobbotron. All the tubes are from Nova and the chainstays and seatstays came pre-bent. I did dimple the chainstays on the inside for tire clearance (plenty of room for a 2.4" Ardent) and on the outside of the driveside for chainring clearance. I did a Retrotec-style attachment for the seatstays with scalloped ends to avoid any additional bending. I do need to work on my fixturing for the rear triangle to keep things better aligned on the next frame.

On the next one I'd like to get rid of the seat tube brace (unnecessary in hindsight), shorten the chainstays a bit (430mm right now with the wheel all the way forward), and drop the bottom bracket a bit. I'm really liking how short the top tube is (ETT = 435mm). Coming from a size small Niner MCR (ETT = 589mm) I feel much more capable of throwing the bike around and with a 67.5 deg HA (static) and 650mm FC it's still very capable on the downhill.