mtbr member
    Jan 2008

First ride on my home brewed FS rig

Finally got this thing done, started it about six months ago, halfway thru I got busy with other stuff, but finished it during christmas and first ride today, it is my fist attempt for a FS frame ,built it from left overs that i had in the shop, and it worked out better than I expected. It is an all steel and 29er, 4inch travel and weighs in at 27lbs, after first ride I am pretty stoked.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ride on my home brewed FS rig-dscn0953.jpg  

First ride on my home brewed FS rig-dscn0951.jpg  

mtbr member
    That looks awesome!!
    I'm really interested in trying this some day soon. Can you tell me a little more about the design?

mtbr member
    Right on!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    tubing?
    geometry?
    pivot bearing, shell, and axle info?
    looks killer!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks guys, it is all TT tubing, the pivots are shafts/ bushings Turner style, in fact thats what I used, had a set from an Turner Burner I had years ago, as for geometry seat angle 70 head 69,5
    chainstays are 17", TT 23.25" those are the numbers I got in my head, if some number seem weird I will recheck it

mtbr member
    Nice. Homebuilt FS FTW!

Would love to see closeups of the mounts/pivots.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Awesome!

What a great first FS build! I love seeing what people come up with, and I wish we saw more FS work around here. I second the motion for closeups of the pivots and such!

I am guessing based on the very slack/straight seat tube and the gap between it and the rear wheel that your chainstays are more like 18+". Did you base your geometry on an existing frame? What was your thought process when designing it?

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Syltmunk View Post
    Thanks guys, it is all TT tubing, the pivots are shafts/ bushings Turner style, in fact thats what I used, had a set from an Turner Burner I had years ago, as for geometry seat angle 70 head 69,5
    chainstays are 17", TT 23.25" those are the numbers I got in my head, if some number seem weird I will recheck it
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Dude nice! Sharp and no nonsense.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Nemophilist
    Exceptional;

Quite sanitary. If it rides as good as it looks, it must be a sweetie! I'd also be interested in your thoughts on the X-Fusion fork.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Sweet...we need more pics !

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Walt, you where dead on, chainstays are 18 ", as for the design I always liked the way this design works, where I ride there is a lot of loose gravel climbs and I have found this design to work very well it seems to dig in the rear wheel a little better than most I have ridden, did not have an existing geometry But I am sure there is a ton of production bikes that are very close, and the simplicity of the design makes it work well with steel IMO. As for the Fushion fork great bang for the buck, for the terrain I ride it works great.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ride on my home brewed FS rig-dscn0954.jpg  

First ride on my home brewed FS rig-dscn0955.jpg  

First ride on my home brewed FS rig-dscn0956.jpg  

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Wow! Very cool, my hat is off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Very nice, how about a quick description of you cable guide and a better photo. It looks like a nice simple approach. Is it a DIY fab cable guide?
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

mtbr member
    Might want to move your front brake hose inside of the fork leg so it doesnt get snagged by underbrush on the trail.

Looks like a ton of fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's really nice. Great job.

One minor thing, you may find the 6mm bolt used on the upper shock mount to be too small and prone to bending. That bolt sees a lot of force, particularly on bottom out and with straight plates it has a large distance to span. If you find the top shock bush wearing quickly you can move to a steel sleeve that spans the distance instead of two alu spacers that push in from either side.

650b me
    Congrats on the FS build! Nice, straightforward design. Would love to see some fabrication photos if you have any.