650b me

Fillet brazing tangent tubes

See my design below: Can this be done? Is the fillet strong enough to hold up?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fillet brazing tangent tubes-650b-cruiser-frame.jpg  

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    that looks like a pretty normal seat cluster from what I'm seeing. I don't see any problem, maybe I'm looking at it wrong

mtbr member
    Bullet head on seat tube end, side attached? This was the common method 30 or more years ago but with a cover plate over the side face, often with the builders name engraved in it.

You will have no problem with it. It is a strong design, just not trendy these days.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

650b me
    Thanks for the feedback. The intent of the design is cruiser-style, with a continuous arc from the head tube to the rear dropouts. Using this attachment method, I think I can limit the seatstay to a bend (curve) in one plane and still get decent tire clearance.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Using this attachment method, I think I can limit the seatstay to a bend (curve) in one plane and still get decent tire clearance.
    You can, with skinny (normal MTB) tires.

Retrotec does it.

Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker