mtbr member

Fatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?

What tubes are people using for fat bike frames? I'm looking at building one in the next few months, and this is my biggest obstacle. I don't have bending apparati available, but suppose I'll have to find a way if that's the only option. Tubes, inexpensive ways to bend, etc- all ideas welcome.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Start searching through the forum. This has been talked about a bunch - lots of people have posted their DIY bending setups.

For chainstays, you can use off-the shelf Dedas or Novas, or a variety of other things. You will just be cutting off less of the front portion of the stay and more of the back to get the bend where you need it. I'm not aware of any prebent seastays for fatbikes.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Thanks- yeah- I've looked through the forums a bit in the past, but most things involved tooling I don't have/ need for one bike, or some super kinked up/ dimpled stuff. If anyone has some direct suggestions for the off-the-shelf Dedas or Novas that could work, I'd love to see them. I'll be running 1x10, fwiw.
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The Deda "29er" s-bend chainstays will work well unless you are doing something really weird. They are also pretty beginner friendly (thick, hard to screw up too badly).

As I said, I don't *think* there are any commercially available seatstays that would work. If you can't find anything, and don't want to bend them yourself (this can be as easy as finding an old kid's bike wheel and a long piece of pipe!) let me know and I can bend you a set.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Harrumph
    Walt's given you the answer twice...but I'll echo. The Deda 9'er or Nova's 9er chainstays give you plenty to work with. And I also *think* there's nothing off the shelf pre-bent seat stays that will play without some modification. And I *think* I've looked into this more than Walt as a Hack that's built Fatbikes without Walt's bending prowess.

If I had a do-over from 2years ago I'd look into acquiring some form of bending equipment and straight gauge Chro-mo from someplace like Aircraft Spruce. It will cost money depending on your bending creativity and creativity...but in the end you won't waste money ruining pre-bents and you'll be able to place the bend where it needs to be. And depending on your experience/fabrication skills, a single bend around the tire to the seat tube will be MUCH easier to "cope"(hehuehue) with compared to a gucci S-bend stay you are likely looking at.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

mtbr member
    ^Awesome- thanks gents. G-reg- I've looked at your fat builds before, and they're great. I'll look more into inexpensive tube-bending options (I like the bike-wheel-plus-big-bar idea) and see if I can't figure out a way to do it myself without too much investment.

Any other ideas/ suggestions are welcome. Links to builds, benders, tubing, etc also are great. I will continue to research around, but if anyone has direct experience and knowledge, that's always better.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The old wheel+lever arm is how I bend fork blades, believe it or not. Pretty fun when people come to the shop and I show them my "pro" fork blade bender...

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Any pics of the "pro" bender in use?

mtbr member
    ^what he said.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I will take some tonight if I have time. Gotta go pick up the wee ones right now.

Trust me, it is not impressive looking. But it works great!

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I use two pieces of 3/4" plywood cut to the proper radius and chamfered with a 45 degree router bit on one side. I screw the two pieces together to form a channel in the center for the tube and do a crappy job of welding up a stop to hold the end of the tube. No follower or lever necessary with .035 tubes. 1/2" and 5/8" bend fairly easily by just pulling on the tube. 3/4" needs a little more force. I have several sizes of them for different radius bends.

Fatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?-12771634844_bd650f3e35_z.jpgFatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?-12771323193_a38f434a50_z.jpgFatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?-12771625974_2bf5867a1e_z.jpg

mtbr member
    ^This is awesome. Now I just need to learn math so I know what radii to cut some forms/ die. Seems like some oak forms with a routered channel down the middle and an anchor like that would be pretty straight-forward.

Of course, I still might just send them to Walt and call it a day...

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    A ruler and a string/pencil is all the math you need. Pick a radius, measure out a piece of string, and draw yourself part of a circle!

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    ^Right, but how do I know the right radius for the bend I want? I'm seriously a moron when it comes to this kind of thing.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I pretty commonly use 8" radius for seatstays, but it depends on what you're trying to do. Once again, just a big piece of paper, some string, and a pencil will give you an idea.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    The one in the picture I posted is a 12" radius that I only use for making curvy road seatstays and making heel clearance bends in road chainstays. I used a 9" radius for my last mountain bike, but I'll probably make an 8" one to try for the next mountain bike.

mtbr member
    For a fatbike tire you'll want to cut more like a 5" radius, maybe 6" for 4" tires. Maybe 8" can work, but may have trouble getting the bend around to the seat tube.
    The new Nova 29W chainstays are great for the biggest bend out there, bigger than the Deda's and a taller profile. Not as heavy duty as the Deda's though but have more length in front of the bend which is super helpful/necessary for a fatty.
    This was done with the Nova CS's and a 5.375" radius bender (not homemade). But the arch was done on a wire wheel i found in my shop. Works great!
    Fatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?-done-rear.jpg
    Fatbike Seat and Chainstays- what are people using?-arch-bender.jpg