will rant for food
    Jan 2010

EyeTap real time HDR video feedback for welding

Not my area of expertise as I use composites, but I stumbled on this the other day. I did a search for "eyetap" and found nothing, so I figured I'd post it.

HDRchitecture: Real-time Stereoscopic HDR Imaging for Extreme Dynamic Range Scene

I'd love to see this in cars some day for safer night time driving.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    FPGAs really do have endless possibilities. This is the kind of thing I do for my day job and I never get tired of seeing new FPGA applications--especially when paired with something like the GPUs the abstract mentions. They would certainly be using the big pipes that PCI Express allows to move the data around from capture to processing to storage though it's not mentioned in the abstract.

In simpler terms, what's making all of this possible is the changes in technology in just the past few years. The GPUs are essentially video cards that are just crunching lots of data (the kind of data that HD cameras make) and can do it very quickly and very efficiently. But moving that data around in real time becomes a problem and PCI Express (PCIe) allows for huge data transport speeds. FPGAs slick. They are like robots for digital. They are programmed to do very specific tasks and do them faster than a CPU, again, probably using a PCIe transport. Of course, HD has opened a whole host of coolness in all kinds of applications aside from just watching TV and being couch potatoes. It's not often that my real job and frame building come together--this is clearly the best example I can think of to date. I just wish I'd have thought about it before he did now.