Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

EBB reamer? Anyone got one to loan?

Yes, I hate EBBs, but I just built a tandem as a wedding present for a friend and there's no way around them (ok, ok, idler pulley... but that sucks). As expected, the shell has distorted some and I want to ream back to round but I'm not really planning to build more tandems anytime soon so I'd rather not buy a big $120 reamer to accomplish it.

So, got a reamer (needs to adjust up to about 55mm) I can borrow? If so I'd be happy to repay you with postage (of course) and whatever other favor (or cash, or random parts) makes sense to you.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    I've got this guy you can borrow. It goes to just a hair under 55mm. I've successfully used it for Niner EBB shells by reaming and following with a quick swipe with a sanding drum. I have a handle too.

EBB Ream on Lathe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    Joel, that was timely, I was just thinking about reaming out a head tube on my lathe, but I was blanking out on how to do it. Do you have more pictures of that setup?

mtbr member
    This setup wouldn't work for a headtube. You'd need to buy a proper reamer/facer from Park/Campy/Var/etc. and build an arbor.

Head tube reaming lathe | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    NOTHING WORKS LIKE CLOCKWORK

www.clockworkbikes.com

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I just want to thin it out before I remove it. Giant vent holes (and possibly poor penetration) resulted in a cracked head tube

eta: showed it who is boss in the traditional manner
    Last edited by unterhausen; 06-29-2013 at 08:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Walt
    You got a boring bar and a mill? I've used one to skim a EBB shell with distortion. Work very well.

Tim