I had a granite surface plate and I had made a BB post last winter, but wasn't sure how I'd join them. Thanks to Schmitty and his post about drilling his plate, I decided to do the same. My choices were all going to be around $100 for rent or tooling, but I was able to score Schmitty's from unterhausen (who scored it from Schmitty) for significantly less.
Unfortunately for me, instead of a floor-sized drill press, I only had a bench-top Ryobi that I bought off craigslist a few years ago. But my plate is four inches instead of five, so at least I didn't have quite so much to drill
I partially dismantled my home-build table saw / router table cabinet and mounted the drill press high enough to get started. I ran a ring of plumber's putty to contain the water coolant, and stacked some sandbags I happened to have. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, and I felt the sandbags would only enhance the stability of the drill. A rep at Standridge thought I could drill as close as .5" from each edge (1" from the corner), but I decided to move it in a bit more just in case.
Since I didn't want to push the drill or the bit too hard, I ran lots of water for coolant, and I stopped the drill when motor started getting a bit warm. I also used various bungee straps to keep the bit working while I did other things.
After what seemed like forever, the bit finally ran through the plate. Then I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the cabinet to mount the post. I wasn't sure how my setup would work, but it turned out a really nice hole.
Thanks to Schmitty for posting his experience. I had considered buying a core bit earlier on, but I'd seen a company's website that sells them, and they made it sound impossible to drill this deeply. No idea why. It wasn't as fast as Schmitty's, but it certainly wasn't difficult.
Results 1 to 6 of 6