Dad

Drilling a Granite Surface Plate - The Sequel

I had a granite surface plate and I had made a BB post last winter, but wasn't sure how I'd join them. Thanks to Schmitty and his post about drilling his plate, I decided to do the same. My choices were all going to be around $100 for rent or tooling, but I was able to score Schmitty's from unterhausen (who scored it from Schmitty) for significantly less.

Unfortunately for me, instead of a floor-sized drill press, I only had a bench-top Ryobi that I bought off craigslist a few years ago. But my plate is four inches instead of five, so at least I didn't have quite so much to drill

I partially dismantled my home-build table saw / router table cabinet and mounted the drill press high enough to get started. I ran a ring of plumber's putty to contain the water coolant, and stacked some sandbags I happened to have. I wasn't sure how this was going to go, and I felt the sandbags would only enhance the stability of the drill. A rep at Standridge thought I could drill as close as .5" from each edge (1" from the corner), but I decided to move it in a bit more just in case.

Since I didn't want to push the drill or the bit too hard, I ran lots of water for coolant, and I stopped the drill when motor started getting a bit warm. I also used various bungee straps to keep the bit working while I did other things.

After what seemed like forever, the bit finally ran through the plate. Then I used a hole saw to drill a hole in the cabinet to mount the post. I wasn't sure how my setup would work, but it turned out a really nice hole.

Thanks to Schmitty for posting his experience. I had considered buying a core bit earlier on, but I'd seen a company's website that sells them, and they made it sound impossible to drill this deeply. No idea why. It wasn't as fast as Schmitty's, but it certainly wasn't difficult.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Drilling a Granite Surface Plate - The Sequel-diamond-drilling.jpg  

Drilling a Granite Surface Plate - The Sequel-granite-table.jpg  

Drilling a Granite Surface Plate - The Sequel-table-close-up.jpg  

Last edited by Smudgemo; 10-09-2010 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Photos

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That's great! Who says MTBR sucks?!

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Nice job. I see that you drilled all the way through. Any reason to not drill in just deep enough to bond in an insert and use a threaded stud to mount your fixture? All of our surface plates at work are done with the insersts.

Dad
    The truth is that I wasn't aware that inserts were commonly used in granite. I like the through hole and bolt better, but an insert would have certainly saved time.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I didn't end up using the drill because the granite plate I got had inserts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudgemo
    The truth is that I wasn't aware that inserts were commonly used in granite. I like the through hole and bolt better, but an insert would have certainly saved time.
    Nice job! The pics tell is all.