mtbr member

drilling frame for stealth post

I am planning on drilling a hole in my seat tube, several inches above the BB, in order to run a stealth Reverb. The frame is a Chromag Stylus. I am not concerned with warranties. I've been looking for an oval rubber grommet that I can set in the hole to seal up the joint and protect the hydraulic line from rattling.

This is the closest thing I've found - but I'd have to braze it on. It's not really what I'm looking for.
    Name:  NOV_141_IGCP_-06.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  12.2 KB

I'm not even sure what the name of the piece I'm looking for is called - Is it a grommet? A sleeve?

I am tempted to call Intense and see if they can send me one of these or at least tell me what its called so I can hunt one down:
    drilling frame for stealth post-690407d1334896717-27-5-650b-fever-he-fork-27-8.jpg

What am I looking at and how can I find one?

Thanks

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    looks like a molded plastic grommet to me

mtbr member
    I know at our shop we have a bunch laying around. Trek used them on some Equinox and Madone frames in the past. Its a rubber grommet with an angled hose line in it. You could just drill the hole oval, or a slot and use a round grommet bigger than the hole and squish it into an oval. If you have a decent LBS around, I would check with them. I know we have a few drawers of little cable guide parts. Some used on old Madones are aluminum and rivet into place or use a small screw.
    My motorcycle runs on infant blood

mtbr member
    Also, you could check this, this or this. If none of those suit your needs, another option would be to take a small chunk of rubber hose and slip it over your hydraulic hose and run that in the area that it runs into the frame.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I'm planning on ovalizing the hole out so that cable can come out at a better angle than 90 degrees to the seat tube. I like the idea of squishing a rubber grommet into the hole and making it work. What I am hoping to find though is a grommet or sleeve designed for this application that snaps in place and is a done deal.
    Last edited by boostin; 03-12-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Home Depot has a variety of different size rubber grommets in the electrical and plumbing sections. Round grommets will become oval if you squeeze them into an oval shaped hole.

mtbr member
    Yeah, if you refer to my first reply, if your LBS has worked on time-trial bikes or road bikes with internal cables they should have some laying around. I know at our shop we have a little drawer with them in it. There are plastic ones or aluminum ones that rivet or bolt into place like on the Madones from about 2 years ago. If you absolutely need one and your shop doesn't have it I could probably send you one.

mtbr member
    thanks again - I started hunting around and found some rubber grommets in various sizes at the local hardware store. They look like a yo-yo and one of the sizes should fit. I think once I drill the hole I'm going to insert a round shafted screwdriver and give it a few taps to bend the upper curve out and knock the lower curve in - rather than drill two holes and dremel them into an oval. If the grommet doesn't work I've got self sealing rubber tape I can take a few wraps with. Once everything shows up and I can play around it will probably go quick and turn out well.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

You will have an easier time getting a grommet to fit and stay in a flat hole, be it round or oval. Having said that, I personally would taper the hole with some sort of mandrel as you suggested. Laying in a nice indented channel to ease the transition would be the most aesthetic way of doing it, barring finding the exact task specific grommet.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker