banned
    Sep 2012

DIY Tapered Headtube Mod Project

I 've been building up my bike and upgrading bits as I went along. I finally decided to mod the headtube on my 07 S-Works SJ FSR so that it'll work with a tapered fork since it was limiting my choices on the forks available these days.

Started out with this (uses a standard straight steerer fork, with a Specialized Mindset headset)

Removed the bottom Mindset HS bearing, and enlarged the angled headtube bearing seat to so that the fork could fit in the bottom. Went off to design and make a headset adaptor so I could fit a IS52 lower bearing at the bottom.

Installed the headset and bearing into my frame (press fit and also bonded in place to the existing headtube with JB Weld).

Tested it out to see if it works properly

Took everything apart, sanded down the gel coat of the frame to the bare carbon fiber.

Laid up a mix of 12K linear tow and 2x2 twill, using filament winding technique. Wrapped up for compression and let it cure overnight

Cured in the morning

Sanded it down

Applied a couple resin topcoats

Wet sanded.....

Two rubbing compounds and UV wax later....

All done!

Hope this gives you guys ideas on what you can get away with for carbon frames.

-S

banned
    Sep 2012
    Oh... and the bike is still within design specs. The HTA is down to 69 degrees and that is still within the Specialized design specs (69-71 deg).

-S

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Wow

That bike does not look like it fits you at *all*.

Neat project!

-W
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

pvd
    mtbr member
    Very cool.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Nicely done!
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    to me it looks like you have taken a frame that would already have taken a tapered fork (upper looks like a 44mm, and presumably the lower is too, and a quick google suggests I'm right) with the right headset and made it still fit a tapered fork. Admittedly you've done it very neatly

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 18bikes View Post
    to me it looks like you have taken a frame that would already have taken a tapered fork (upper looks like a 44mm, and presumably the lower is too, and a quick google suggests I'm right) with the right headset and made it still fit a tapered fork. Admittedly you've done it very neatly
    Both of them (upper and lower) measured out to be 41.7mm (yes, its a custom headset from SpecialEd - google Specialized Mindset for more info). If it were 44mm I wold not have needed to go thru all this trouble and gone with an EC44/40 adaptor instead.

I did do a good bit of research before I started modding and that's where I learned about the monstrosity of a headset that Specialized put in their bikes for a while.

As a side note, you can use a campy-style (IS42) headset to replace a Specialized Mindset. The bearings would need to be pressed in, unlike a campy headtube seat where the IS42 just drops right in.

-S
    Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

P.S. here's Spesh's techdoc that mentions their headsets, including the Mindset if anyone's interested in reading more.

Pic of the specialized mindset...
    Last edited by shibiwan; 12-17-2012 at 01:48 PM.