mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Direct mount front mechs - how much clearance can you gain?

Hey guys,

I've not being paying as much attention to the forum recently so I appologise if this has been covered.

I've got a project coming up where tyre clearance at the front mech (cable mechanism not cage) will be a bit tight. We are basing some of the geometry off a production bike that uses a normal band on mech and there is about 3-5mm from the tyre to the mech. I'm wondering if a direct mount will actually give more clearance? If it does, how much can I expect?

I'd rather not be recomending cutting the mech up but I realise this is an option

Matt

Harrumph
    What Walt said in one of my build threads. "Hopefully this will make sense"

Essentially you can move it forward and "clock" the FD around the BB a fair bit. Use the top pull versions to get rid of the dual pull thingy. You are limited really by the aft/bottom portion of the cage interfering with the chain in small chainring/cog combinations.

I'm going to do a little R&D for my next build and see how things go. I've become a fan of how sell the 2/10 direct mount derailleurs shift. I'll be willing to fudge Shimano's specs, but not past the point where that awesome shifting is harmed.

Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness