Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Randomhead
    Sep 2008

deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old

was it Walt that posted the pic comparing the new chainstays with the old ones? Don't remember the thread.

Joe B says he isn't going to have the new ones back in stock until February, but he has some of the old ones. I am building a frame with a little bit longer rear end, and I just want to reassure myself that I will be happy with the old style.

Framebuilder
    I haven't used the new shape, but I've used at least 25 pairs of the old ....they had the best out of the box bend going for awhile.
    Don't know what you need to make you happy, but I can tell you you can get plenty of clearance for a 2.1" tire with the factory bends if you keep them longer than 435-440.

Edit:we're talking about the S bend stays, right?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    yes, S-bend. Someone posted a picture, I can't remember where/what thread

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

I posted the pic

Here it is again. The "old" style will work (for me, for ~70mm of tire clearance) down to about 42cm length on a 29er. To go shorter than that with lots of tire clearance the new style is better but requires chainline shenanigans.

-Walt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-stays.jpg  

Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I got mine from Ceeway back in july, but I didn't know that they were the "new" style. I ordered just 29er Deda stays.

Walt, what do you think is there need for the chainline shenanigans with XX1 156q 32t cranks and 425mm chainstay length?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Depends

You should draw it up, and then you should model it with the real parts in hand to make sure your drawing is right, because I'm not looking over your shoulder so I can't tell you if what you're planning will work or not.

The XX1 is 47.5 chainline, which is a little on the narrow side by modern (ie Shimano 50mm) standards, so depending on how much tire clearance you want, you may need to move things around. Off the top of my head I would say that 425mm is fine with decent tire clearance and enough room for the ring with either the newer or older Deda stays, but you should trust your own drawing/thinking/work, not my guesses.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post
    I got mine from Ceeway back in july, but I didn't know that they were the "new" style. I ordered just 29er Deda stays.

Walt, what do you think is there need for the chainline shenanigans with XX1 156q 32t cranks and 425mm chainstay length?
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Hey walt, those look different. Is the bendier one the newer one?

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    new style is bendier.

Thanks for the picture Walt.

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks Walt.

I will definitely draw it up once I get the crankset.

How these seatstays look, is there any updates from the older models?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    You should draw it up, and then you should model it with the real parts in hand to make sure your drawing is right, because I'm not looking over your shoulder so I can't tell you if what you're planning will work or not.

The XX1 is 47.5 chainline, which is a little on the narrow side by modern (ie Shimano 50mm) standards, so depending on how much tire clearance you want, you may need to move things around. Off the top of my head I would say that 425mm is fine with decent tire clearance and enough room for the ring with either the newer or older Deda stays, but you should trust your own drawing/thinking/work, not my guesses.

-Walt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-7.jpg  

Plays with tools
    Only problem I've seen with the old style is length. From the center of the tire bend to the dropout they're a little short. Fine if your using a plate style dropout. But if your using hooded breezer style drop they come up short.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    I have never used any pre-bent seatstays so I can't tell you anything about them.
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member

New Nova 29er Stays

Sorry to hijack the thread, but since we're on the topic of new versus old chainstays, has anyone picked up a pair of the new Nova 29er s-bend chainstays? I'm about the crimp the hell out of a pair of the old style s-bends to get the clearance I need for a 2.3" 29er at 430mm.

NOVA MTB 29er S-BEND 24mm OVAL x 465mm :: S-BEND :: MTB CHAINSTAYS :: CHAINSTAYS :: TUBES STEEL :: Nova Cycles Supply Inc.

They clearly moved the bend and lengthened the stays, but they still don't look anywhere near as curvy as other brands. I'm going to call and get the specs, but does anyone have an opinion on these? I'm making an order with Nova soon and I'm trying to decide whether to wait for a new pair of stays to come in for my current build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

How about a drawing?

Does anyone have CAD work for the Deda stays a photo is nice but what are the actual specs for the stays?
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by febikes View Post
    Does anyone have CAD work for the Deda stays a photo is nice but what are the actual specs for the stays?

No CAD-drawings, but I got this drawing from the Dedacciai.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Sweet that is perfect thanks!
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

Harrumph
    FYI I just talked to Joe B, he's got the Deddiccaiccai 9er Sero Uno stuff back in stock.

"Innavoice is a innabox, you like'a da tubeset, send me a check right away........Or Im'a gonna come up a to Fargo and a geet it!"

That phone call might be the high point of things for a few days.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

650b me
    Good to know, G-reg. Subscribing to thread...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by G-reg View Post
    "Innavoice is a innabox, you like'a da tubeset, send me a check right away........Or Im'a gonna come up a to Fargo and a geet it!"

That phone call might be the high point of things for a few days.
    Joe is the best huh? My first conversation went exactly the same way.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the update

650b me
    Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post

No CAD-drawings, but I got this drawing from the Dedacciai.
    Don't know where you got that, but it is much appreciated. My download only has dimensions on the side view; none on the all-important top view.

mtbr member
    They rock.
    I bought 20 pairs.
    - Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

650b me
    I ordered a pair from Joe over the phone a couple days ago. I hardly had to tell him what I wanted. He must be selling a boatload of these. And since I'm in Golden CO and he'll be at NAHBS next week, he "threatened" me if I don't pay the invoice promptly. What a character. I'll be at NAHBS, so I'll make a point of stopping at the Columbus booth to meet him. Maybe even drop off the check in person.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    I ordered a few pairs. No threats though. I don't think I'm alone in my surprise at Joe's appearance after talking to him on the phone.

Harrumph
    "At's not a prebent chain stay.... This is a prebent chain stay." (Crocodile Dundee voice)

The Nova 9er stay on the right for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-img_20130218_125619.jpg  

Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

The bend is great

They are a lot of fun. 29er with 400mm chainstays (nickname "Stupidmobile") that I made for myself recently with these stays:

deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-waltht2.jpg

deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-clearance1.jpg

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast