Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    are they bent enough for a fatbike?

Harrumph
    Quote Originally Posted by unterhausen View Post
    are they bent enough for a fatbike?
    That all depends on...well, everything. But in general they would work fine, you run into problems with drivetrain/tire clearance before you really start testing out the limits of chanstay clearances.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

Nemophilist
    Purely for fatbike reference;

My .750 round stays use a 27* angle to achieve roughly 10mm clearance per side. Lots of room, no crimp. An ovalized stay would obviously be better in that regard.

deda 29'er chainstays, new vs. old-kroozercsdiagram.jpg
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Hey, it sounds like Joe is out of these for at least another two weeks. Is there any chance someone would be willing to sell me a pair before then?
    Thanks,
    Adam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J_K View Post

No CAD-drawings, but I got this drawing from the Dedacciai.
    Weird, the attachment is gone and it's only been a few months. Could you post it again please sir? This forum is getting more and more difficult to use when all the information keeps disappearing.

FWIW, I'm going to try to make a solid model of these and export it as a STP file.

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Sure, I can post it again.

mtbr member
    Sure, I can post it again.

Thanks, man. I've got some on the way (well, sort of, when Joe gets them they'll be on the way). I'll see if I can get this modeled without crashing my CAD system. It has problems with some of this lofting along a guide curve. Perhaps I'll just make them solid and shell it out to 1mm and pretend that the butt is there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jay_ntwr View Post
    Thanks, man. I've got some on the way (well, sort of, when Joe gets them they'll be on the way). I'll see if I can get this modeled without crashing my CAD system. It has problems with some of this lofting along a guide curve. Perhaps I'll just make them solid and shell it out to 1mm and pretend that the butt is there.
    I ordered 20 pairs from Joe to speed things up.

Also, Lon @ Nova sent me a sample of his new 29er stay - real nice, lots of clearance, about a 26* bend.

- Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles View Post
    I ordered 20 pairs from Joe to speed things up.

Also, Lon @ Nova sent me a sample of his new 29er stay - real nice, lots of clearance, about a 26* bend.

Awesome, Steve! He give you any indication of when we might see them?

I was wondering about Lon's too. I was going to order a pair of those just in case I didn't Joe's in time. Good to hear that they are nice. That is still my plan B but I'm certainly not as afraid of it as I was.

As far as modeling the stay, I did use the print to generate something. Unfortunately, the print doesn't show where it transitions from elliptical to round so I just guessed that it's about 60mm after the 26 degree bend after looking at a frame I did with those stays. I also couldn't easily get the tapered wall in the model (probably could have done it if I'd really been patient but I wasn't going to make this an all day project) so I just shelled the whole thing to have a 1mm wall thickness throughout the part (comes in at 216g in the CAD system made of 4130 so I bet that's not more than 10% off actual). So, I have a STEP 203 file of these stays modeled if anyone wants it (as well as the native Alibre Design file). PM me your email address if you'd like it and I'll send it to you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    For what its worth, Kirk Pacenti has them in stock at BikeLugs.com

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I also couldn't easily get the tapered wall in the model (probably could have done it if I'd really been patient but I wasn't going to make this an all day project) so I just shelled the whole thing to have a 1mm wall thickness throughout the part (comes in at 216g in the CAD system made of 4130 so I bet that's not more than 10% off actual).
    I got pair of them yesterday, they were 207g and 206g.

Ceeway stocks them too, if someone in Europe needs them.

mtbr member
    I got pair of them yesterday, they were 207g and 206g.

Ceeway stocks them too, if someone in Europe needs them.
    Hey, good to know. I'm glad I didn't add the taper in then just to sneak out 10 grams/stay. I've responded with the STEP file to the folks that PM'd me. If you haven't gotten it, check your spam folder or ping me again.

mtbr member
    I was wondering if anyone had the print of the seat stays too. I was going to model it as well but I can probably just measure them and come put with something pretty close unless someone has it. Of course, I'd share the STEP file for anyone that wanted it too.

mtbr member
    bam:

Steel

(I think that's 2014. Dunno if anything's different for 2013)

mtbr member
    Weird, that doesn't show the bend radii or where they are. It's even stranger that the chainstay doesn't show them when the print posted the other day does.

mtbr member
    Awesome, Steve! He give you any indication of when we might see them?
    He shipped mine a couple days ago.
    steve garro el jefe/el solo. coconino cycles www.coconinocycles.com www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2