650b me

Cutting head tube stock to length - and square

How do you do this without a lathe? At UBI our instructor cut ours for us using a lathe. Obviously, the tube needs to be nice and square before putting it in the frame jig. What are my options, without a lathe?

A couple ideas I've had:

1. Pipe cutter
    2. Park saw guide

Neither would guarantee a square cut, so then I'd have to follow up with a head tube facer, orienting the centering cone on the non-cut end of the tube. Can you use just the facing cutter without the reamer cutter, or is that a bad idea? Am I on the right track? I'm open to ideas.

RCP Fabrication
    Jun 2011
    The park cutter comes with bushings to use it with out the reamer. It works to do what you want to do.

The four black pucks:

Most Delicious
    If you want to kick it old-school, machinist's square and flat file.

Randomhead
    Sep 2008
    a tube cutter will get it within the tolerances you need. I would probably just mark with a tube cutter and cut/file some other way

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.welby View Post
    If you want to kick it old-school, machinist's square and flat file.
    Hey;

Semi-rustic here, with a square and a belt sander. Either of these is likely a fine enough point for the task. You have to watch pipe cutters. I've seen them work more like thread cutters if they are cheap or worn. If I happen to be set up for it, I'll end cut them on the mill, but most people don't have one of those either...
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

650b me
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm currently equipped to use Dr. Welby's method, so that's a strong possibility.

For grins, I checked the ends of my stock - HOXPLATHT2 - and neither end is anywhere near square. Off by a mm at least. I had wrongfully assumed that both ends would be square. Newb lesson...

mtbr member

Cutting head tube stock to length - and square

If you have a mill you can load the HT in the vise and level it, then run a light pass with an end mill to square it up better. Not as good a finish as a lathe but works pretty well assuming you've squared up/trammed your vise.

I used the machinist square and file before that but then the accuracy depended on my patience...Cutting head tube stock to length - and square-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365833515.275252.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just use a tube cutter. A good quality one, and on the first pass make sure it hasn't wandered, then it's fine.

Depending on your jig, but with mine it'd have to be very, very squint to make much difference at all on the jig setup.

650b me
    Thanks for all the replies. I guess my real question was: how critical is it that your head tube is square before putting it in the frame jig. Sounds like using a file and machinist square is "good enough."

650b me
    Doh! Found this informative thread on the subject. Hadn't even suspected someone had posted about this before:

cutting a head tube by hand?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Old school band hose clamp method to guide hacksaw(or two close together), file remainder to edge of band, check and final dress with machinist square and file, gets you there pretty quickly.

Brian