650b me

Cutting fluid is smoking...

...when I cut steel tubing with a hacksaw. Is this normal, or an indication that the cutting fluid isn't....well, cutting it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    a hacksaw will get material hot, but I doubt you can heat affect it with one. keep a sharp blade and try not to bind it while cutting. if you are really worried about it cut slower and more controlled.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

The art & science of chip making is pretty much the same regardless of the tool used to make them, be it a drill bit, end mill, or saw blade. Feeds & Speeds apply to all methods of mechanically displacing metal. The right tool for the job and the proper skill to use it effectively are essential to a good result. That good result is defined as creating a decent usable part, AND having a cutter that will cut again.

Making a chip is a pretty violent process, on a molecular level. So yes, your cutting fluid may smoke. How much it smokes can sometimes be a good indication of the effectiveness of your process.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

650b me
    The smoking occurred with a 24tpi blade. I just replaced it with a 32tpi blade, but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. I suspect that will help. I was mainly curious if some cutting fluids are better than others. What I have, I bought at the local hardware store, because I like to support them. It's one of those "step back in time" hardware stores: small, friendly staff, etc...the opposite of Home Depot. Anyway, they sold me fluid intended for cutting threads in various metals, but I don't see "steel" listed. Perhaps I should pick up some Park cutting fluid.

Harrumph
    I've noticed actual cutting fluid doesn't smoke on me. The rando bottle of whatever bike lube I usually grab tends to be more dramatic.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    The real question is why you're using cutting oil with a hacksaw in the first place? The easy answer is don't.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

650b me
    Thanks Don. That IS easy...and I feel sheepish.

DWF
    Non Dual Bliss
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    Thanks Don. That IS easy...and I feel sheepish.
    Don't feel sheepish, it's just one of those things.
    A man must have enemies and places he is not welcome. In the end we are not only defined by our friends but those against us.

mtbr member
    i'm curious how many actually use cutting fluid at all for coping tubes on a mill. I have always done it but have recently stopped because oddly i seem to get a smoother finish without it...it seems to clear chips better without the oil than with the oil sticking the chips to the cutter. Or maybe I'm high.

Mine smokes even when running at 150rpm, the slowest speed i can go. I don't think you need it for coping tubes at slow rpms and it's easier to clean up the chips.
    For drilling holes through solid stock or even thicker walled stuff it's needed to keep the temp down and reduce wear on the bit or endmill.

mtbr member
    The only instance that I am aware of in the use of fluids used with hand tools is when filing Aluminium, use light oil, diesel or similar, the filings won't clog up the teeth.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I don't bother with cutting fluid unless I'm cutting a lot of metal - machining a solid block of alu, cutting threads, something like that. Never for hacksawing, filing or mitring.