From Russia with luv!

Custom reamers and taps from Ukraine

Hi guys!

My name is Dmitry and I run Triton Bikes. We build custom Ti frames in Moscow, Russia.

We used to outsource but now we have our own shop and I had problems in buying some of the tools here in Russia.
    The local distributor does not bring all of the Park Tool stuff over here, the wait times are bad together with the pricing. A lot higher than you may get Park Tool in the US.

I needed seat tube reamers and BB taps. I got IceToolz for a test and didn't like them.

So I searched and found a guy, a bicycle rider from Ukraine who makes tools at his local factory in the very industrial town of Ukraine. They have a tooling department there and they can basically make any tool.

I ordered four reamers for a test: 27.15, 27.2, 31.55 and 31.6mm.
    He bought new reamers made in the USSR, still in their original grease. And then they machined them down and refaced to size.
    We got them, reamed three titanium frames, and they are awesome. No sign of wear.
    I have ordered another four reamers: 27.25, 27.3, 31.65, 31.7mm
    There are some seat posts that need a bit larger seat tube...
    Please note that these reamers are not helix shaped but they still work great and since we use them in two sizes, they don't have to remove much of material.

So he asked me that I can share this information with you and if somebody wants such a tool - he can make it.
    He does not speak English, he does not have PayPal.
    I can handle both plus shipping.
    This is not a business. Knowing the prices of Silva parts, I think it's a good solution for new framebuilders or those who want to save a bit. Knowing the factory I trust them even more
    I do not know if I can share the prices here. But they are about 3 times lower compared to branded ones.
    The lead time on the reamers is 2-3 weeks before dispatch.

He is now designing a set of BB taps for us and I will share photos if someone is interested. They are using a different material for it, it's very tough (USSR grades, I need to convert that into international). They will machine taps from scratch. The lead time on the taps is about 2-3 months. But he has some material now and will be making me a set of taps and a 44mm headtube reamer compatible with Park Tool holder.

Here are some photos of the reamers.

Thanks!

Dmitry
    TritonBikes.com

Titanium frames and components handbuilt in Russia

mtbr member
    Not a frame builder but I would be all over a 44mm headtube reamer when it comes available and works with the Park headset reaming tool. Funny, I was just pricing out the Park reamer and guide earlier

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Um...

Both Park and King (among others) sell 44mm reaming cutters.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    Not a frame builder but I would be all over a 44mm headtube reamer when it comes available and works with the Park headset reaming tool. Funny, I was just pricing out the Park reamer and guide earlier
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Both Park and King (among others) sell 44mm reaming cutters.

-Walt
    Yep but if his are as cheap as claimed then it'll be worth the wait. The Park and King tools are very expensive for something that will rarely be used.