mtbr member
    Apr 2010

custom painting with striping/decals - anyone have experience?

I am considering giving a bike a custom paint job (aluminum full susp. frame - specialized pitch), Id like to do the best quality paint job i can so i figured powder coating is the way to go.
    I would love to do a white paint with some black striping, and even get some decals. I have no idea the process of this though.

Does anyone know how specialized does their original paint job with striping? Is it all decals under a clear coat or actually painted stripes?

Also, anyone know a good place to look for buying decals?

mtbr member
    Typically it would be an automotive style basecoat/clearcoat system. I have used it several times and it worked fairly well. The only catch is your clearcoat will flake if chipped at the decals. Not a big deal as clearcoat can be touched in easily. There are powdercoat compatible decals that are baked into the clearcoat though that is a process I have not tried, so I cannot claim success or not.

On my personal bikes I have used automotive clearcoat/basecoat many times with success. The big plus side is it behaves like a car when it comes to sun fade and maintenance(like waxing). It can however cost depending on your source. Around here they are around $45-50 for a 1/2 pint as the smallest quantity of basecoat and clear is about $30 for a quart. Can be airbrushed or sprayed with a small touchup gun for application, ventilate very well. Protect yourself apropriately during application etc. Rewarding results if done properly.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest