mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Cruiser frame questions .

The only way I could get a cruiser framed Mtn bike was to use a aluminum framed Huffy I found at a yard sale, what I would love to have is a cruiser frame made of steel but I dont have the cash flow for a retro tech.

I'm have'n thoughts on try'n to build my own frame but have no experience at frame building but do have enuff common sense to try anyway, but do have a friend with plenty experience at bending tubes for drag cars, a heli arc welder & does some really clean & tight work.

My questions are...just how hard would it be to build on if I used my old bike for a pattern ??

What kind of steel material should I be look'n for (I'm a clyde so it needs to be sturdy) & about how much $$ should materials cost ??

And would I be much smarter (face'n the facts) to just have someone build a frame & what kind of ball park figure would that cost ??

Been think'n on this for a while & figured ya'll would set me straight.

Thanks guys.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

Forget using some other old frame. It won't last. Take the geo of a bike that you know works for you, use the hard points, and shape your tubes around that.

If you see yourself doing more of this than just one. If you know someone who has the tools. If you know someone with tools willing to help. If you can find someone starting out who has talent, but doe$ not have $seriou$ rep that you'll $pend your money for, and is wiling to work with you. Then do your own frame. If not, think hard about coughing up for a custom. One offs are usually more expensive because of the discovery and setup involved. Expect to pay a $G+ unless you find someone who has a cruiser system down pat and can crank one out efficiently, and does not assume any high dollar cachet.

To acquire the materials and tools necessary to build your own will take some time, and likely exceed the $G.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Most Delicious
    What about starting with an old steel frame that's the right size, take out the top tube and seatstays, and have your friend replace them with something more cruiser-y? Then you don't have to start from zero and the 'spine' of your bike will be a bit easier to trust.

Otherwise, maybe lurk on eBay for a Trek Sawyer, or a Van Dessel Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Been watch'n videos on YT & think'n its doable, I can braze & weld but need to brush up to do neat & solid work, to cut & grind is pie work, biggest thing to me would be learn'n to bend the pieces out so they're all identical, but my buddy can teach me this.

I'm certain thers tricks of the trade I dont know but to me learn'n is part of the fun, not that I want to do it for a living but thers just no way I can fork out $2,000 for a custom frame.

Stokeless Asshat
    Firemans Texas Cruzer-BMX, Singlespeed, Bicycles

It's a cruiser in the classic BMX style. $750 aint bad for frame, fork, bars and a T-Shirt plus it's Made in Merica.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    This is the perfect beast when I mention a cruiser framed mtn bike, never have I seen a used one for sale tho, I could put this in my living room & consider it art.

Inglis & Retrotec Cycles | Quality Bicycles Handmade in Napa, California

been look'n thru the stickys at the top of the page & have to say thers a lot to know, soem great info post there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Another cruiser frame for your consideration:

Nemophilist
    Man...

I really don't like that narrow interface between HT and TT/DT. Maybe it is merely perception, but it sure looks potentially weak to me. Having said that, this is the BEST double curvature on a DT I have yet seen on a modern bike. The proper contour is not something that is easy to explain. I just know it when I see it, one way or the other. I don't imagine it is easy to do either. I wanted to do it in the worst way, but I chickened out. This one nails it. Very nice looking bike, to be sure.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

≈ > ♥
    My first frame was a klunker-inspired cruiser, with new-school AM geometry and strong enough to handle the downhills and jumps I hit.

Your first frame won't be cheap or easy, but it helps that you have a buddy with skills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cruiser frame questions .-zero-klunker-leafy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Really cool bike. I'm hoping to be able to do something like that. I just started the frame building process......read, watch video, read, read ,watch video, buy some tools, and read some more.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm really into the cruiser / mountain bike conversion look as well.

The sawyer is super cool as well.

Couldn't one simply reinforce a cruiser frame? Or is the geometry completely off?

jamis cruiser

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Just get an old Schwinn cruiser, modify a 1-1/8 headset to fit, find a suitable fork and go shred. If the frame breaks, replace it.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com