RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman

Cracked frame patch job?

I can't afford a new frame right now so I was weighing all options and wanted to run this idea past the experts.

I have a very small crack in the rear triangle above the weld in the pic below. It seems to be a standard feature of the Ironhorse MKIII. I discovered it a few months ago and it hasn't gotten worse in about 200 more miles of pretty hard riding.

is there a product I could use to wrap the section, like an adhesive metal fiber material, or something I could embed in epoxy or JB weld or something similar that would at least support the area more than it is now? I know I'm not fixing the crack this way but thought supporting it might make the ultimate failure a bit less catastrophic if/when it does break all the way through.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348877323.224049.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  49.9 KB
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

You could try some cut a way spray

Try some cut a way spray. It is made for cuts but I bet it also works on cracks.
    Mark Farnsworth, Raleigh, NC
    http://farnsworthbikes.com

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    I love it. Do they make one for wood?
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Check out the MKIII thread where some guys where getting it welded.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Have you checked with your Ironhorse dealer. I don't know what their warranty is and I guessing you have already tried if you are posting here but it seems if this is a known problem with a frame then you could lean on Ironhorse to fix/repair/replace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hey RTM, my MKIII cracked in the exact same spot as yours (and everyone else's). I posted here about how I didn't think mine was going to crack so of course it went like a week later I ended up riding it like that for over a year because it didn't get any worse. Out of all the cracked frame reports on mtbr there were almost no actual complete failures and those were all front triangle. I decided that even if it does snap all the way through mid-ride it won't kill me and I'll probably be able to ride/push back to the car. Mine never did break all the way through; eventually I found a new triangle on eBay.

IMHO you should leave it as is and save your repair $$ for a new frame while watching eBay for a replacement rear tri. The crack is not getting worse, so that's good. Historically it does not snap all the way; your 200 miles of post-crack thrashing confirm this. Welding might fix it, might not, most people on the forums who had it welded just watched it break again. Wrapping with something might appear to work, but how could you trust it? Personally I would consider it dead and not spend any money on fixing it as no fix is guaranteed to actually work.

RTM
    #1 Latex Salesman
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelrider View Post
    Have you checked with your Ironhorse dealer.
    hey good suggestion. unfortunately Ironhorse bit the dust a few years ago, went bankrupt. they made some kick-ass bikes for a while but sadly couldn't keep it going. I've got 2 older IH bikes and dread the day they finally kick the bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by norton05 View Post
    Hey RTM, my MKIII cracked in the exact same spot as yours (and everyone else's). I posted here about how I didn't think mine was going to crack so of course it went like a week later I ended up riding it like that for over a year because it didn't get any worse. Out of all the cracked frame reports on mtbr there were almost no actual complete failures and those were all front triangle. I decided that even if it does snap all the way through mid-ride it won't kill me and I'll probably be able to ride/push back to the car. Mine never did break all the way through; eventually I found a new triangle on eBay.

IMHO you should leave it as is and save your repair $$ for a new frame while watching eBay for a replacement rear tri. The crack is not getting worse, so that's good. Historically it does not snap all the way; your 200 miles of post-crack thrashing confirm this. Welding might fix it, might not, most people on the forums who had it welded just watched it break again. Wrapping with something might appear to work, but how could you trust it? Personally I would consider it dead and not spend any money on fixing it as no fix is guaranteed to actually work.
    I actually built this one up from a frame I bought on ebay after IH announced their bankruptcy. Got a great deal on it, and I knew the crack could/would happen, but I'm all about DW Link suspension (also have a 2007 Sunday), so I rolled the dice. I thought exactly what you are saying. It gave me 3 good seasons, at least 1 with the crack so, as I told my wife, I'll just ride it until it falls apart underneath me. I was thinking maybe there's a low cost, low impact reinforcement I could make that would help a little. But you're right, there's really no point in doing that.

Just a flesh wound
    You can have it welded, but depending on the type of aluminum, you need to use the right welding rod, and you have to have it heat treated properly. I had an old Jekyll frame fixed. It is made of 6061 T6, so I had it welded with the correct rod and the I had the frame heat treated, quenched and baked to bring it all back to T6 temper. It has been my wife's ride for over a year and it is solid.

It cost me about $250 to have it done, if you want to go this route, I'd be happy to help you figure it out. Needless to say, the rear triangle has to be removed and the paint will be cooked off when they heat it. I repainted mine with an Acrylic spray can. Came out pretty good.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Worth a shot.

I had it done to a frame of mine, cost two cases of beer first time, cracked again. Second time spend $80 to an guy on CL. It has held for 5+ yrs.

mtbr member
    Another try is if you have a Local College that offers Welding Certification, or even just TIG classes, the instructor may be able to help you out, it helps with teaching as it gives the students real world application of Welding. You can inquire at the least if they may be able to help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's hard for me to discern where the crack is and how big it is, but if you do get it welded you may want to consider stop drilling the crack to give you a bit more life before it cracks again...